Chapter 13

I was in dazed with what just happened. I don't know what or how to react to that. A kid. I just saw a kid blown to dust right in front of my eyes. It was as if a hard slap on my face that this wasn't a dream that I hope. This is reality. My new reality.

"Ravi, get it together!"

I turn towards Bahari and Ravi when I heard her voice raise. Nakita kong nakaupo lang si Ravi sa lupa, nakatulala kung saan sumabog yung mga magic bombs kasama ang bata.

Nilapitan ito ni Bahari at niyugyog ang mga balikat niya, "How long will you become like this? Wake up! You cannot save everyone!"

Kahit ako ay tila halos mapalundag sa galit nitong boses.

"I understand how you wanted to save him, Jaren, that kid. You even went to the extent of bringing him here despite the possibility that he might be one of the Queen's raised assassins. But there are just things you can't do, events you can't stop, future you can't change and lives you can't save. Ravi, that's reality."

Hindi umiimik si Ravi, tumingin lamang siya kay Bahari, isang tingin na punong-puno ng samo't-saring emosyon. Ngumiti ito ng pamait bago tumayo.

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I can't... do anything," humina ang boses nito sa huling sinabi kaya hindi ko masyado narinig.

Naiwan kaming dalawa ni Bahari nang umalis si Ravi. Binigyan ako nito ng isang ngiti at humingi ng paumanhin dahil sa pinakita niya raw na asal sa harap ko. She then ask me for a favor. A favor that rendered me speechless and unable to decline.

We created a small grave for the kid that committed suicide bombing just now and put flowers above it. I saw Bahari pray for his soul for a moment.

"Do you think there is a god in this world?"

Nagulat ako sa naging tanong nito makalipas ang mahabang katahimikan.

A god?

"I don't know. I've long since stop believing in one."

"Is that so?" Tumayo ito sa pagkakaluhod at tuluyan akong hinarap. "There was once a god in this world. A goddess to be exact, she dearly love this world she created and the people adores and worship her. The people offers sacrifices to her and she grants their desires all according to her might."

"Once?" I ask confused.

She smile bitterly. "Yeah, once. Since that god one day forgotten about her creation and this world was engulfed in chaos."

Magsasalita pa sana ako ngunit nag-aya na ito na bumalik kami. Mag-gagabi na rin kasi. Nang bumalik kami ay nagulat pa ako sa nadatnan namin. Halos wala ng mga estrakturang natira na kanina lang ay nakatirik pa rito. We saw Duchess Amaria and when we approach her, she immediately told us to leave as they were going to finish things here before following.

What's happening?

Nahigit ko ang braso ni Bahari nang makita ang lugar kung saan nakatirik kanina ang clinic na ngayon ay wala na.

"W-where's the clinic that was just here?"

"Sinira na,"

"What? What about Historia? I saw her being treated there, what happened to her? Is she dead?"

"What? Dead?" She chuckle. "No way. Masamang damo yun, matagal mamatay. Sini-sira lang nila lahat ng ebedinsyang nandito ang headquarter ng rebellion because the place was already exposed. Considering the traits of the Queen, she'll surely send assassins to us the moment she learned of our location, so we needed to move to another place before that happens."

Hinawi nito ang mayabong na damo sa harapan namin, sa kabilang banda ay nakarinig ako ng mga boses at ingay.

Binalingan ako nito, "Don't worry about Historia, she was safely transfered to the new headquarter. Let's go?"

Tahimik akong sumunod sa kanya. Marami-rami ring mga tao ang kasama namin, may mga matatanda, at mga bata. Mostly sa mga teenagers at adult ay may hawak na mga sandata. There were multiple horse-drawn carriages and the elderly, women and children were inside, those with weapons are guarding them as they travel.

Bahari told me to stick to her and so I did. She help me mounted the horse with her and followed the rest of the group. Mabilis ang pagpapatakbo nila sa mga karwahe at tila ba nagmamadali. Sinabi naman sa akin ni Bahari na kailangan talaga namin magmadali dahil sa oras na makarating sa reyna ang balitang nandito ang kanilang headquarter ay paniguradong mabilis pa sa alas kwatrong magpapadala ito ng mga assassins at knights upang salakayin kami.

Nasa hulihan kami. Naatasan si Bahari na magbantay sa likuran kasama ang ibang mga kasamahan nito na nakasakay din sa mga kabayo. Pumasok kami sa isang gubat at ang madilim na paligid ay mas lalo pang dumilim kahit may mga torches naman kaming dala.

I notice how Bahari and the rest of the guards signaling to each other with serious expression on their faces. Considering what happened earlier, multiple scenarios played out in my head, and all of them were enough to make me extremely scared. I unconsciously grab Bahari's shoulder tightly.

She glance back at me and smile, "Don't worry, Memory, among the people here, you are the strongest."

Mas lalo akong kinabahan sa sinabi niya.

"Stop joking."

"Haha! You're too nervous, you still haven't realize your real identity, huh. What a shame. You could have -" hindi nito natuloy ang pagsasalita niya at seryosong napalingon sa likuran namin.

What is it this time?

"We got company,"

"Already?" Tila hindi makapaniwalang tanong nung kasama niyang lalake.

"Be careful, they're at least twenty people." Binalingan nito ng tingin ang isa pa nilang kasama sa kaliwa niya. "Go, inform Ravi and Lake about the situation. We're going to stop them here and follow afterwards."

Magsasalita pa sana ito ngunit nang mapansing malapit na ang sumusunod sa amin ay wala na rin itong nagawa. Tumango into at pinatakbo ng mabilis ang kabayo niya.

"Memory, don't close your eyes. Watch everything and embedded them in your mind. See with your eyes how evil this world has become."

I don't understand what she said. In fact I still don't understand the reason why I'm here, why Historia brought me here. The reason they gave me just doesn't make sense to me. It was ridiculous. And this place ridiculous, too.

I don't understand... no, I refuse to understand.

But amidst the confusion and denial, I followed Bahari's words. I didn't close my eyes anymore. I didn't let a single event pass by and watch everything. I saw how Bahari jump from the horse and block the knife flying towards our direction.

The scene reminded me of when I was at the train station back on earth. It sent shivers down my spine because I'm starting to accept that my new reality is here now and that I can no longer go back. Though, there's is a small doubt inside me that Lake might be lying to me to make me stay here.

I watch the scene unfold before my eyes. How Bahari and five of her comrades fought against twenty assassins clad in black, a common outfit for assassins.

It was fierce. It was brutal. Their fight sends me unexplainable fear I've never felt before. And the one thing I learned is that, Bahari si strong. She took down five assassins at once with three strikes of her sword. Two of her comrades uses magic and shots fire arrows and water cannon or whatever they're called.

I was targeted a few times but Bahari was fast enough to save me. The fight ended in our victory. We followed the rest of the group immediately after. I think it was already midnight when we finally left the forest and reach a vast plain. Further ahead is a village.

No. Further ahead is a place that was once a village.