Amatis Madeleine

"This is driving me insane!" Clary exploded. Her sneakers slapped loudly against the white tile floor of the waiting room hallway as she paced back and forth. "Mom is in there, probably having the baby as we speak, and we can't do a thing!"

"It's not that bad," Jonathan said in a halfhearted attempt to calm his sister. "You know she's fine. Anyway, Luke's right in there. He would let us know if anything happened."

Clary dropped her voice to a whisper even though she and Jonathan were the only ones in the corridor. "But Luke doesn't know about my vision, so he can't let us know about that. What if the baby really is going to be Valentina?"

"Then we're in trouble," Jonathan mumbled. "Let's just hope that Alec was smart enough to tell Magnus to hurry up with the research."

Clary bit her lip nervously, returning to her pacing. If the baby did turn out to be the girl from her vision, then she... well, she had no idea what to do! Should she trouble her mother and Luke, who had finally found their happy ending, and force them to possibly put off or even lose that happiness? Or should she remain silent, hoping that their obliviousness wouldn't land them in danger?

She felt a large, warm hand on her shoulder and whipped around to see Jace. Thank goodness. Clary wrapped her arms around him tightly, breathing in his comforting scent and trying to push her fears away for a moment.

"Alec sent me," Jace said after a moment, and Clary instantly pulled away, looking up. "He said that Magnus can't find anything about Hazonel. Magnus thinks it's a miracle that we came across that book, since even his rarest texts don't even mention Hazonel. It's not as if many books have the sources to write about demons that haven't left Hell in forever, but you'd think a warlock like Magnus would at least be able to find a book that briefly mentions Hazonel."

"Would it kill you to bring good news?" Clary mumbled, leaning against the wall tiredly.

Just as Jace was about to open his mouth (most likely with a sarcastic retort on the tip of his tongue),  Luke burst out of Jocelyn's hospital room, his blue eyes shining with joy. "She's beautiful," he whispered, and Clary couldn't be sure whether he was talking about his wife or his daughter.

All three teenagers stepped forward, but Luke put a hand on Jace's shoulder to stop him. "It's family only," he said in an apologetic tone. "Jocelyn wants to keep it that way for the first couple days."

Jace nodded, looking only mildly disgruntled as he stepped aside. Clary hesitantly followed Luke and Jonathan into the hospital room. Everything was a blank white, the kind that made Clary itch for a paintbrush to add some color to it. There was a floral scent masking the hospital odor, most likely Jocelyn using perfume or air freshener in an attempt to brighten the atmosphere.

Clary's gaze traveled to the bed, where Jocelyn was sitting up. Her sparkling green eyes were fixed on the bundle in her arms, which she cradled close to her chest. Clary immediately walked up to her mother, looking down at the soft, dark blue blanket in her arms. Peeking out of it were big, innocent eyes the same color as the blanket. Almost afraid of what she would see, Clary looked at the shock of hair on the baby's head. It was just as red as hers.

There was no denying it at this point. Clary's little sister was Valentina from the vision. A wave of horror swept over her, but she desperately tried to push it back, forcing a smile onto her face as she looked at her mother. "Is there a name yet?"

Jocelyn nodded, looking down at the girl. "Her name is Amatis Madeleine. We decided she would be named after two brave women: one in Luke's life and one in mine."