Chapter 40: Conspiracy

Felix carefully balanced a tray of steaming pastries as he weaved through the grand corridors of the Heart Kingdom's palace. During his stay, he had become familiar with the structure of the place. The stone walls, draped in rich velvet tapestries, were a sharp contrast to the whimsical atmosphere outside the castle.

As the Red Queen’s personal baker, he had the freedom to move around the palace as much as he liked. At first, Felix had a rough time figuring his way through the corridors, but with Nico's guidance and Qiu's assistance, he now had a very good map of the Red Castle in case he needed to escape.

<Host, let me tell you, no one would think you were kidnapped to this place.> The white, chubby rabbit was following Felix as the latter walked toward the Red Princess's room. <That girl surely has a big appetite; she eats more than little Fey!>

"She surely does. Now I know why Nico was so frustrated before. If I were alone, I wouldn't be able to bake so much either."

It had been two weeks since Felix was brought to the Heart Kingdom by Counselor Stayne. After he made a pumpkin pie for the Red Queen, she had become so enamored with his cooking that she granted him the title of the queen's personal baker.

With that, he was now under the queen's protection, so all of the palace staff treated him very well. That, of course, included Counselor Stayne.

"By the way, Qiu, did you get more information about him?"

<Sorry! I’m still looking. I now have more administrator rights thanks to my superior, but it’s still limited, and this man surely is very important in this world.>

Another thing Felix discovered was that a certain bunny had taken him to the wrong world. Apparently, during the time he was away, he received a message from his superior, who had also come to this world. As a result, Qiu found out that instead of taking Felix to the vacation world he had promised, he brought him to a Danger Class A mission world. The world he was currently in was heading toward doom if the host in the transmigration system didn’t save it.

"Do you think Fang Li will be able to find the warrior?"

<I-I hope so! My superior is with him, so he should be able to!>

Apparently, since Qiu transferred Felix’s soul to the original body meant for the system's transmigrator, Qiu's superior had to use another body to host the original transmigrator assigned to this mission. Surprisingly, the host was Fang Yu's little brother. Now, he was the one in charge of rescuing this world from chaos.

But Felix wasn’t sure if he would be able to accomplish that, at least not alone. Originally, it was his body that was supposed to find the warrior, which meant it was inside the Diamond Kingdom. Now, due to Qiu's mistake, the host went to the Spear Empire instead, making the mission to find the savior of this world even more difficult.

As if sensing Felix's thoughts, the little bunny tried to change the subject. <I-Is it just me, or does the place feel a little suffocating?>

Of course, Felix knew what the rabbit was doing, but for better or worse, he was right. The corridors felt heavier, the air more stifling. Felix couldn’t shake the feeling that something was terribly wrong. His instincts told him to be cautious, but it wasn’t just the looming unease in the castle — it was Counselor Stayne.

Over the past few days, Felix had noticed Counselor Stayne growing more erratic. Gone was the false charm he often displayed in front of the Red Queen. Now, Felix often caught the man murmuring to himself, his eyes cold and calculating. Whatever he was plotting, Felix knew it was nothing good.

He passed a pair of guards standing at attention outside the Queen’s chambers, their faces set in grim expressions. Felix couldn’t help but overhear their conversation as he approached the door.