SHATTERED

I remember that day vividly. Med school had officially kicked off with a grand welcome for the freshmen, filled with an energy that felt more like a festival than the daunting beginning of what was about to be the most challenging journey of our lives. The air was electric, buzzing with laughter, cheers, and excitement. Everywhere I turned, I could see groups of students, both old and new, bonding over games, food, and, of course, the endless flow of drinks.

Andrew and I, we tried to stay in the moment, soaking in the festive vibe. For a brief moment, we forgot about the tension of med school looming ahead. I looked at him, a small smile tugging at the corner of his lips as he watched a group of our classmates try their hand at some ridiculous challenge. It felt like college all over again—us, carefree, dreaming of the future together. It was a beautiful break from the heavy expectations.

But eventually, the noise and the crowd started to fade into the background. The fun and games, though lively, couldn't compare to the connection I felt when it was just Andrew and me. We didn't say much to each other, but we both knew the same thought was circling our minds: to escape the chaos.

We slipped away, unnoticed, hand in hand, and made our way back to the dorm. It was quiet, peaceful, just the two of us in our little bubble away from the rest of the world. When we closed the door behind us, something shifted. The energy between us was charged with something deeper—something intense and undeniable. I remember the way he looked at me, his gaze soft but filled with such love that it took my breath away.

We had always been close, but that night, something changed. It wasn't just about the physical connection, though that was there, too. We explored each other's hearts and bodies with a tenderness that felt like the culmination of all our years together. There was so much love between us, more than I had ever known before. Andrew was my anchor, and in that moment, I was certain we could face anything med school threw at us, as long as we had each other.

As the days turned into weeks, med school wasn't much different from our college experience. We were back in our element, excelling as we always had. Only this time, Andrew was on top, ranked number one in our class. I was proud of him, even though I found myself slipping into the number two spot. It didn't matter, though; we were a team. We celebrated each other's wins, and together we tackled every challenge thrown our way.

But that weekend changed everything.

I remember the moment my mom told me about Daniel. It was early morning, and the sun had barely risen. My parents had come to fetch me from the dorm, their faces drawn and somber. The car ride was quiet, the usual hum of the engine doing little to fill the oppressive silence. When we arrived home, I knew something was wrong, but I wasn't prepared for what was to come.

whisper as she spoke, and even though I had braced myself for bad news, her words still hit me like a freight train. "Callie," she said, her voice trembling as she struggled to hold back tears,

The room seemed to spin around me, and for a moment, I couldn't process what she had said. I felt like I was drowning in a sea of confusion and disbelief. "What do you mean, he's gone?" I managed to choke out.

My dad stepped in to clarify, his voice rough with emotion. "Daniel was found dead, Callie. He was reported missing by his friends, and they eventually found him in an abandoned resort villa. The place was supposed to be rented out, but it was left vacant. His body was discovered with the help of one of the hazing classmates who finally came forward."

The details were sparse at first, but as my parents continued, more information began to trickle in. Daniel had been involved in a fraternity hazing, a brutal initiation ritual that was supposed to prove his worthiness for membership. The hazing had escalated quickly, and the fraternity brothers had abandoned him in that desolate resort villa when things went wrong.