40 Queen?

The King's request came as a surprise, and Rose felt her chest tighten when he spoke. "You deserve to be Queen," the King said, his voice calm yet intense as he paced the grand room. "At first, I had no special interest in you, Rose. But the way you spoke about me in your speeches stirred something within me. I can’t stop thinking about you." His eyes bore into hers, searching for a response.

Rose’s heart pounded, but not from desire. She said those praises as she had to show loyalty to protect herself from another assassination attempt.

Even the King's proposal might not be genuine. Rose's popularity had surged rapidly after the prophecy and her public speeches. For the King, marrying her could be a strategic move to boost his own image in the eyes of the people.

And now, faced with his sudden confession, she knew she had to tread carefully.

"Your Majesty," she began, her voice soft but firm. "You are very important to me. You are my King, and I will always be loyal to you." She paused, taking a steadying breath. "But my heart… my heart already belongs to someone else."

The King’s face faltered for just a moment before he regained his composure. He gave her a nod, a bittersweet smile tugging at his lips. "Then I wish you well, Rose. Whoever holds your heart is a lucky man."

When the news of the King’s proposal reached Chris, his reaction was immediate. Jealousy flared in his chest, unbidden but undeniable. He found Rose in the training yard, her mind clearly elsewhere, and approached her with a tense expression.

"What did he say?" Chris asked, his voice gruff, struggling to keep his emotions in check.

Rose looked up at him, her lips curling into a small, knowing smile. "He said he can't think of anything but me," she said teasingly, watching his reaction.

Chris's frown deepened, his hands clenching at his sides. Without a word, he took a step closer, his presence more intense than usual. He reached out, his fingers gently wrapping around her hand, pulling her closer. "Are you… considering him?" he asked, his voice quieter now, tinged with vulnerability.

Rose’s smile softened, and she placed her palm on his cheek, her thumb brushing lightly against his skin. She looked into his eyes, letting the truth fill the space between them. "I’m considering you, Christopher."

The tension between them thickened, the air charged with the weight of unspoken feelings finally laid bare. His breath hitched, his eyes searching hers as if needing confirmation of her words. Slowly, he leaned in, his forehead resting against hers. His hand tightened around hers, pulling her closer still, until there was barely any space between them.

"Rose," he whispered, his voice low and filled with longing.

She tilted her face upward, her lips hovering just an inch from his. Her heart raced, but she wasn’t nervous. She was ready. In the span of a heartbeat, he closed the distance, his lips meeting hers in a kiss that was soft at first but quickly deepened with the intensity of all they had held back for so long. His hands moved to cradle her face, as if she might disappear if he let go.

The kiss was full of everything they hadn’t said—his jealousy, her quiet devotion, the battles they’d fought, the loyalty they shared. When they finally pulled apart, breathless and dazed, the world seemed to have shifted around them. There was no more doubt, no more hesitation.

Rose looked up at him, her hand still resting against his cheek. "It was always you," she whispered.

Chris smiled, the tension finally fading from his face, replaced by something much warmer. "And it always will be.”