Part 4

Alen

If I could wake up to the sight in front of me for the rest of my life, I would.

The sun is just beginning to rise as it fills the cabin with natural light. The fire had been put out hours ago and silence fills the space around me as I gaze at my mate.

After a few hours had passed and Milo had calmed down with the help of her scent, I shifted into my human form and laid her comfortably on the couch with a blanket above her.

For the last couple of hours I decided to sit down on the floor in front of her and rest my head on the couch cushion. With my hand in hers my fingers caress the palm of her hand as I study her admiringly.

She sleeps peacefully despite having passed out from the pain of her wound. It's taking everything in me not to go back to her village and cause havoc on those who hurt her. Ripping that man's throat out wasn't enough and Milo can't help but agree with me more. Even just the thought of losing her makes my heart ache with an almost agonizing pain.

'And yet you want to push her away,' Milo murmured, making his presence known.

'I can't go through the pain of getting rejected again.' I spoke painfully.

'How can you be sure that she'll reject us?' He presses, 'you're jumping to conclusions and you aren't even going to give her a chance.' He argues

I let out a sigh, knowing he's right. I could feel his disappointment as he recedes to the back of my mind knowing I'll still follow through with my plan anyway.

The birds begin to sing as the sun starts to fully rise. We've waited long enough and as much as I would love to stay here with her, I have to take her to the hospital to get her wound checked.

The cabin is quiet with the distant noise of nature coming from outside as I pick her up bridal style, her head rests comfortably against my chest and I feel a sense of serenity from having her this close to me as I walk out of the cabin.

The cabin isn't too far from town, but just enough to get a moment of privacy and peace away from the whole alpha title. I come here when I'm feeling stressed or when I need some time to myself without Ethan or Rowan tailing me like they got nothing going on in their lives.

Soon enough I start to see the familiar buildings of Wakefield, the hospital in particular. It's placed at the edge of town close to the woods in case our pack members have an emergency while they're out.

Not even five minutes away from the hospital and I'm already getting a link from Rowan, these two are always on my ass like a pair of puppy's. I roll my eyes in annoyance as I unblock the link. 'Where are you?' He asks.

'How nice of you to grace me with your grating voice this early in the morning.' I grumbled

'Yeah? I'm sure you love it. I haven't been able to link you all night, were you at the cabin?'

'I'm near the hospital.' I cut it short, not really in the mood to talk and explain everything knowing he'll likely bombard me with questions, no one knows where the cabin is and I would like to keep it that way. So I close the link knowing he'll find me soon anyway.

I hold her close to me and my arms tighten around her knowing that she'll be out of my arms soon. The fact that she hasn't woken up yet is terrifying enough, the slight rise and fall of her chest only calms me slightly as I hurry to the hospital.

I ignore the questioning looks as I walk in through the hospital doors, only returning a few nods and greetings as people move away, knowing better than to come up to me right now.