T W E L V E: REGRETS IN INK

Cyan had tried working a traditional tattoo shop with other artists and it didn't work for him, in fact it ended in a disaster

Cyan had tried working a traditional tattoo shop with other artists and it didn't work for him, in fact it ended in a disaster. He clashed with the other tattooers about taking walk-in and the quietness of the shop and in the end he ended up grabbing the speaker that belonged to the owner of the shop and smashed it to pieces in typical Cyan fashion. After his apprenticeship ended, he didn't need them anymore and enough had been enough.

Despite his personality, he worked better in solitude and he kept his booth mostly silent. He found a small space, basically just one long rectangle, in a strip mall that was initially being rented as a salon. Due to its narrowness it had been on the market for almost a year like it was waiting for Cyan to be able to afford it. He was able to swing it his way, Cyan was charismatic like that and he took the bland space and made it his own. Twin mirrors leaned opposite of the tattoo chair in the corners. The walls were painted a cliche black with dark auburn trimmed along the sides. Well, all the walls except one.

The wall one would see right ahead when they first walked in was muralled with a brazen wolf with dark reddish brown fur. It howled at a crescent moon from atop a hill. The fur itself had hints of gold glitter and the swirling winds coming from the wolf's mouth in silver. The acrylic paint left textures that Cyan couldn't help but touch often.

Cyan barely uttered a word as he tattooed, just the occasional "You good," "I'm almost done," "Just a couple lines left," every time Drag grunted in pain. Ankle tattoos were always rough.

There was a small tall speaker in the corner of the room that he left on the lowest possible setting to hear the humming of whatever instrumental he was playing, right now it was So Into You by Tamia. He was proud of his work before he was even finished. He had outdone himself this time. This tattoo was not like anything he's done before. Half of the butterfly was alive,  beautiful, and full of intricate details and the other side dead and withering away, yet still beautiful in its own way. The balance between life and death. "It's beauty in death, too." Drag had said when he sat down with Cyan to sketch it out.

Cyan was surprised when he saw Drag standing outside his shop that night because that was the first time he'd seen Drag in years. He had been Cyan's very first client in the start of his career. Drag had some terrible art on him to show for it, too. The small, blown-out ivy plant on his calf still made Cyan mad. He definitely made up for it now, though.

Like Cyan back then, Drag was a sketchy kid that Cyan had went to high school with before he dropped out and before Cyan met Jordan. While Cyan kind of got a better hang of this life thing, Drag had gotten into some deep shit and got out of some deep shit and along the way Cyan took him under his wing after finding him sleeping on a bench one night. He'd only slept on Cyan's couch for two weeks, swearing to get clean. Now here he was claiming to be one year sober, yet he didn't look it. He was skinnier now than he was back then! Cyan noticed his cheeks kinda did look fuller. He shook his head and thought the only thing that changed was Drag's drug of choice.