Prologue (Chapter 1)

A bustling college lecture hall, filled with students scribbling notes and sipping coffee. Professor Thompson stands at the front, writing on the board.

"Alright, let's dive into today's topic:  Acid-base Equilibria. Who can tell me the difference between a strong acid and a weak acid?"

"Um, isn't it just that strong acids are more...acidic?" A red-head kid states the obvious.

Professor Thompson smiled. "That's a good start, but not quite. Strong acids completely dissociate in water, whereas weak acids only partially dissociate. Can anyone give me an example of each?"

A student at the front raised their hand "Is hydrochloric acid a strong acid? " 

"Exactly! Hydrochloric acid is a strong acid. And what about acetic acid? Is it strong or weak?" Professor Thompson scout the class looking for the answer.

"Weak?" Someone uttered hesitantly.

"That's right! Acetic acid is a weak acid. Now let's move on to Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation, who can explain this fundamental concept?" Professor Thompson asked.

The class remained quiet, students looking over at each other as if the answer was tatted on their neighbor's skin. 

"If I don't hear the answer within the next couple of seconds, I'll be calling on individuals randomly." Professor Thompson threatened.

You could hear students whispering amongst themselves trying to figure out the answer, book pages skipping, loud sighing. 

"The Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation helps us to calculate the pH of a solution based on the strength of the acid (pKa) and the ratio of the base to the acid" I explained.

"Well done Rebel!" Professor Thompson gushed while jotting down the equation on the board.

pH = pKa+log10 ([A-]/[HA])

"Assignment for next class, use this equation to calculate the pH of Glacial Acetic Acid (undiluted) 100%  , we'll pick up next week."

I grabbed my bookbag and headed out the hall, walking across campus to the John A. Paulson Center to rehearse my exam piece that I had coming up within a few weeks. I was working on a Guitar solo, which I was very excited about, I got the opening riff pat, so today I'll be working on the scale run next.

"Yo Reb, Reb!" I looked across and saw Cliff jogging towards me.

" Girl what got you moving so fast" he chuckled. 

"I'm trying to make it to John to get this piece going so I can head off campus early, I'm exhausted, what you up to?"

"Shittt I'm 'bout to head over to Reg's and blaze this joint, Math 009 got my mental fucked up, I might need you to tutor me for finals"