Breaking Bad - Part 1 (Chapter 7)

"Ouchh Bitch!" I yelped, wincing as she tugged a little too hard on my hair. I was currently at Lisa's shop getting my weave redone.  

Lisa's  hair salon is tucked away in the heart of Brooklyn, right off Fulton Street, nestled between a lively bodega and a vintage thrift shop. The salon itself is a cozy spot, with its exposed brick walls painted in white and big front windows letting in plenty of natural light. The vibe inside is a mix of modern and classic, with olive green leather chairs, sleek mirrors, hanging vines over some of the workstations and vibrant artwork from local Brooklyn artists on the walls. The smell of hair products lingers in the air, making it feel like home. Today wasn't a busy day for her, so it was ideal for me to get my hair done and spend time with my girl.

 Today wasn't a busy day for her, so it was ideal for me to get my hair done and spend time with my girl

"Yo ass always been tender-headed,"  she teased, laughing as she worked through another braid.

"That's 'cause yo heavy-handed ass always yankin' on my braids n' shit!" I shot back, rolling my eyes.

"Whatever," she waved me off, smirking. "Yo, let me tell you about this date I went on the other night," she sighed, rolling her eyes dramatically as she launched into the story.

"So he picked me up and we went to Il Mulino in West Village, everything was going well, great conversation, he looked great, he smelled great, he drove a nice car...just perfect!" she recounted while combing out the knots out of my hair that was freshly pulled out of the braids.

"We reached  the restaurant, very nice upscale joint, we got a table with a great view, ordered our drinks and appetizers. Then shit went side ways." she chuckled, shaking her head. At this point my ears perked up, I'm intrigued to hear the bullshit that occurred.

"He asked me what are my thoughts on Feminism,"  she continued, her tone shifting slightly. "I swear, my stomach dropped. Like, why are we getting so deep right now?"

I raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "And?"

"I told him I thought it was important for equality, you know? But he just started going off about how he didn't think women needed it because they already had it good. I was like, 'Wait, what?!'"

"No way!" I said, eager to hear more.

"Yeah! He started talking about how men had it harder, how they had to provide and all that bullshit. I tried to explain that it's not a competition; we're all just trying to make it, right? But he kept cutting me off, insisting that he was the one who really understood the struggles of being a man in today's world."

"What an asshole!" I said, shaking my head at the nonsense her date was perpetuating.

"Girl! out of nowhere this man's teeth popped out!" she exclaimed, her eyes wide still in disbelief.

"Wait! Hol' up, what the fuck you just say?!" I replied, my face looking like a deer caught in the headlights, as I stared at Lisa's face through the mirror that was positioned on the wall in front of the styling chair.