Sunday Dinner (Chapter 3)

I pull onto the narrow street, looking for a spot to park. It's a full house today. Cars line both sides of the street, bumper to bumper in front of Auntie Marjorie's house. I already could tell that Lisa and my cousin Gabrielle had arrived as their cars were parked directly in front of the house. I spot my cousin Chad's car and Uncle Derrick's pickup.

After a few more minutes of circling, I saw Mr. Johnson watering his lawn and I noticed that he had an extra parking spot at his house.

"Good Afternoon Mr. Johnson, is it ok for me to park here?"

"No problem honey, I can tell that Marj have a full house today" he replied, with a huge grin.

"Thank you so much Mr. Johnson!"

I change my heels to the brown fringe ones, grab my purse from the passenger seat, slam the door, and start making my way towards the house, dodging puddles and stepping over uneven sidewalks. As I approach, I can hear the laughter growing louder, the sound of Beres Hammond drifting through the cool evening air.

I rang the door bell, seconds later the door swings open revealing my cousin Gabrielle.

"Gyal yuh finally reach! We haffi catch up, mi need fi know evrything you a gwan wid" she exclaimed while putting her arm around my shoulders

"Cuz weh so much people a do yah, mi couldn't find nuh parking, a Mr. Johnson gi mi ablie...where Auntie Marj at?" I replied.

"She in di kitchen wid Lisa"

We walked into the living room, as I greet the fam with hugs and small talk before reaching the kitchen.

"Mummy look who reach!" Gabrielle exclaimed.

"Who Gab?" Auntie replied, preoccupied with blending the coconut, but then she took a glance up. Her eyes became wide in surprise and her smile even bigger.

"Is that my favorite niecey!" she beamed while pulling me into a tight hug, before holding me at a close distance before inspecting me from top to bottom.

" Watch mi nice, clean niece!" her voice full of admiration. "Mi have a wit against yuh though" she said turning around to stir her pot.

"For what Auntie?!" I asked amusingly.

"Gyal pickney, a bout two months now mi nuh hear from yuh enuh!" she exclaimed, clearly exaggerating the time period.

" Auntie Marj, we spoke two weeks ago" I chuckled.

"Dat too long man...how things wid yuh, how skool?" she asked with a curious glance as she squeeze the juice out of the blended coconut into a large bowl.

"School is good, I'm doing pretty well too"

"Thank Gad" she replied happily.

"Auntie a hope yuh nah mek Lisa cook nutten enuh!" I deadpanned.