Chapter 40

Solomon. Braavos.

The guests were brought out of their stupor by Lina's arrival. As their gazes met, cheerful smiles appeared on the faces of Oberyn, Ellaria, and Lina herself, and I put away the Gae Bolg as it was no longer needed.

- Oh? Is it the snake boy and...? - Lina began, taking a seat beside me.

- Ellaria Sand," Ellaria introduced herself and smiled seductively, not hiding her gaze on the High Priestess' body, "Oberyn has told me much about you, Lady Lina, and I must say his words about your beauty are not exaggerated in the least.

- How sweet you are, Ellaria, and let's dispense with the formalities," Lina waved her hand, "After all, we can be considered friends now that he has chosen you and talked about me, can't we, snake boy?

- You haven't changed, Lina, you're still as carefree as ever," Oberyn laughed, "And how have you not been removed as High Priestess yet? I suppose the Red Men have very peculiar requirements in that regard.

- Don't think about it too much, but I can assure you they are much better than the Seven," Lina chuckled, then looked at me, 'Has he been a nuisance to you, 'my King'? That snake can often be overly excitable and amorous.

- "My king?" - Oberyn marveled, as did his mistress.

- 'How romantic,' Ellaria smiled, 'Who is this young maiden that calls Solomon that?

I raised an eyebrow.

Romantic? I wouldn't say that. Kinvara is addressed that way because of circumstances surrounding my importance and R'Glor. I am important to the fate of this world, and am the one who will apparently have to do battle with the ancient evil and end this conflict.

Kinvara has shown herself to be a loyal, compliant, and extremely accommodating person when it comes to me. And given her occupation prior to meeting me, that would fully explain her appeal to me. As-Azor Ahai himself, the foretold savior is less important than I am.

Perhaps I should speak to her on the matter when I meet her. My plans are to leave Braavos as soon as I resolve the issue between Painteria and her materia, taking the former with me if possible. This girl has caught my attention, and I can safely say that I have no desire to let her go.

- My ward," I answered, and interest flashed in Oberyn and Ellaria's eyes, "Anyway, you still haven't answered why you sought me out, Oberyn. What did the brother of the ruler of Dorne need since he crossed the Narrow Sea in search of some sorcerer?

- You underestimate your importance, Solomon," Oberyn grinned, "the Starks are only on their feet because of you and your connections. Pentos has shifted power to one that will back you at your word. The Red Men obey you as their god, and the doors of the House of Black and White are always open to you. You are certainly not "some sorcerer."

- My lover is right," Ellaria nodded, "What the Black and White House is worth. The Faceless Ones are the best assassins in the whole world. They are emotionless, efficient and incorruptible. When they are ordered to do so, the target will be eliminated wherever they are. They are respected and feared at the same time. I have no doubt that any order with you as the chosen target will be rejected or more.

- And the Red Men, even if their influence in Westeros is practically zero, have tangible power here in Essos," Oberyn added, "Even in Norvos, where my sister-in-law, Mellario, lives, they are respected and reckoned with. Though, the city is essentially ruled by a different religion. The Starks have climbed out of poverty and are slowly catching up to the rest of the Great Houses. And they have room to grow, as their territory is the largest of all.

Hmm? My influence is that great? I realized that it was partly true, but not to that extent. If you think about it and put the two religions aside, with enough money and time, the Starks could secede from the Seven Kingdoms while making the others count.