𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱 | know it's all in my head but i keep giving in

a/n: hi, this chapter is a little bit longer and filled with plot. enjoy :)

* * *

Your eyes snap open once your dream ends and you're greeted with the absolute silence you're starting to associate with Wanda's cabin. She swears it's relaxing but it's starting to be haunting.

Especially as you lay there in the darkness, your heart pounding in your ears while your fingers trace the spot Kate's lips had just been on.

The feeling of her hands on you, of her lips on your skin, it all lingers. It suffocates you until all you can think about is her. It had all felt so real and now you're all alone again. It shouldn't be surprising at this point and yet you still hold on to the hope Kate will come looking for you in the morning.

But she doesn't.

The only person waiting for you in the morning is Wanda...along with her signature head tilt that tells you she already knows the answer to the question she's about to ask.

"Sleep well?" She places a plate of scrambled eggs on the table for you, right next to a mug of warm tea.

"Something like that," you mumble, feeling far too sleep-deprived for an interrogation.

The only response she offers is a hum, busying herself with making herself a cup of tea. You know her well enough to know she's waiting for you to break but you're far too focused on breakfast to give her that satisfaction.

Unfortunately, instead of letting it go, she simply waits for you to scarf down your food before she pounces.

"Are you going to tell me why I can feel Kate in your mind?" She questions.

You groan, already feeling her poking around in your head for the answer. "Why do you even bother asking if you're just going to snoop around?"

"Because I know you're going to lie to me."

She's not wrong but admitting that hurts your pride a little too much. Your relationship with the Sokovian is definitely a little strange and yet neither of you seems to mind too much. Being together again is the closest you've both felt to being "home" in a long time.

That doesn't mean you're not a little bitter she didn't give you a warning about the brunette's true self.

"Why didn't you tell me Kate's a vampire?"

Wanda's too fast for you, though. "Why didn't you tell her you're a witch?"

"I'm not a witch," you grumble, sounding far too childish for your liking.

"Right, you just know how to cast spells and how to use runes and-"

"Okay, okay, I get it." You buy yourself some time by taking a long sip of tea. It doesn't deter the witch one bit, she simply watches you with a slightly amused smirk on her face. "I just...I wanted to leave all that behind. After Agatha...after Westview, using magic just felt..."

"Wrong?" Wanda finishes your thought for you and you quickly realize you're on the same boat.

You offer her a nod and a soft smile that doesn't quite meet your eyes.

The room is submerged into a comfortable silence and for a moment, you think life here won't be so bad. That you can get used to it, maybe even grow to love it.

And maybe that could be true if Kate wasn't glued to your mind.

If there wasn't a part of you that couldn't stop thinking about her. About how easily the situation you're in could be fixed if she stopped being a coward and simply tried to find you.