In Silent Reverie

Beep!

The sharp sound sliced through the thick haze of Sunjae's despair, snapping him from his spiraling thoughts. His eyes shot down to the watch in his hand—its display glowing ominously, 0:00:00. Confusion and desperation surged through him, his mind racing, unable to grasp what was happening.

Before he could process anything further, the world around him shifted, rippling like water disturbed by a heavy stone. The air seemed to vibrate, pulling him in—harder and faster—into a swirling vortex. The scenery melted into a blur, stars streaking past, galaxies swirling in chaotic beauty. Time seemed to stretch, bending into infinity, until—

He blinked.

Suddenly, he was there.

The bus stop materialized before him, familiar yet haunting, the cold evening air biting at his skin. He stood frozen—invisible. A silent witness to a scene that felt distant yet unbearably close. And there she was.

Sol.

She stood there, waiting, her expression a heart-wrenching mix of fear and resolve.

Before Sunjae could even utter her name, a young girl rushed past Sol, her voice bright and careless.

"Sunjae Oppa! You're back! I missed you! Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

The words sliced through Sol's heart, and her face paled. Panic seized her—he's here. Her breath came quicker. This was the very moment she had dreaded—the moment she had tried to prevent.

Instinctively, Sol turned, her mind racing. Run. She sprinted towards the bus that had just arrived, fear gripping her chest tighter with each step.

"Don't turn around. Don't let him see you..." she whispered to herself, her voice trembling under the weight of her anxiety. Every fiber of her being was screaming—run!

Sunjae, tethered helplessly to this moment, felt an overwhelming sense of urgency. He wanted to scream out to her, "Wait, Sol! Stop!" But no words came. His heart pounded in his chest as he watched her flee, his arms aching to reach out, to protect her.

But he was powerless. Just a witness.

Every instinct screamed at him to intervene, but he was stuck, shackled to this scene, forced to watch as Sol ran from him. The weight of his helplessness squeezed tighter.

Sol's voice echoed in her mind, each word shaky with fear. "Not now, Sol. You can't mess up today. He can't see you. Not today, not ever." She bit her lip hard, her mouth filling with the metallic taste of blood. The pain fueled her determination. All of this was for him. He has to stay alive.

The bus doors slid shut behind her, and in a fleeting glance, she looked out the window.

Sunjae's heart plummeted.

At the bus stop, his past self stood—laughing, arms casually slung around the girl's shoulders.

"Wait, no... Sol!" his thoughts screamed, "It's not what you think! We're not together! It's not like that!" But his voice was a mere whisper, swallowed by the abyss of time.

Sol's gaze hardened, her heart shattering. "That should be me... That was supposed to be me." Her chest tightened painfully. "But no. Stay focused. He will die if I don't do this. Stay strong."

Her vision blurred with tears, her body trembling under the weight of her sacrifice. She wanted to believe her actions would mean something in the end, but in this moment, it felt like she was crumbling—everything unraveling.