34| Fireman Hans

"NO STRIPPERS!"

"Come on," Lanie whined. "Just one! And they don't call themselves strippers anymore. Their called Exotic Dancers. And he has a name, Harp."

I took the brochure from Danielle and read over it. "Oh, you mean 'Fireman Hans'?" I rolled my eyes and looked from one best friend to the other. "I don't care what his name is. I don't want a stripper at my bachelorette party."

Danielle took a sip of her green tea and snickered. "Why not? Think Jackson is going to get jealous?"

"Oh, I know he's going to be jealous; but that's not the main reason. I feel like we're too old for this stuff. Can't we just have a girl's night?"

Lanie's mouth dropped. "Girl's ni-- no! Absolutely not! We have girl's night all the time. Besides, this isn't just any night. It's your official send off into married life! Strippers are a must!"

"She's got a point." Danielle added.

I closed my eyes briefly before I exhaled a defeated breath. "Fine. We can have a stripper at the party." Lanie jumped with excitement and I pointed a finger at her. "But only one! I meant it."

She made a cross over her chest. "I promise. Now, where should we do it? My place?"

I shrugged a shoulder. "Yeah. There's more room at your place. Besides, I think Ryan said they were going to have the bachelor party at his place on the same night. If that's the case, there shouldn't be any accidental run-ins between us and the boys." I glanced at Danielle. "It would not be pretty."

Danielle nodded in agreement and Lanie asked, "Really? Ryan and Jackson get that jealous?"

"Yes." We both answered simultaneously.

Lanie scrunched up her face as she tapped her chin. "Ayden has never been the jealous type. I don't think he would care."

Oh, my poor Lanie. She was a genius at a lot of things -- how could she not know that Ayden was just like our men? I clearly remembered one night at Down the Rabbit Hole when Lanie was dancing with a random guy. It wasn't anything inappropriate, she was just having a good time. That's who she was. I also remembered the way Ayden's reaction to the scene.

"Here's your Vodka-soda, Harper."

I smiled and reached for the glass. "Thanks, Jake."

I took a sip of my drink, letting the strong taste of the alcohol soothe my anxiety. Jackson and I were still on the rocks. He wanted a baby, and I had my own. . . issues. So I came here with Lanie and Ayden tonight hoping to get drunk. Okay. . . I wanted to get drunk at my own place but these two dragged me off my couch and brought me here. I'm just glad Jackson was having dinner with Ryan and Danielle tonight. It got harder and harder every time I saw him.

Think of something else, I told myself. I turned and looked for my best friend -- and it wasn't hard to find her. She was in the middle of the dance floor, moving her body as the sounds of ACDC filled the bar. There was only one problem: the guy she was dancing with wasn't her fiancee. Where was. . . oh, shit.

I saw Ayden standing at the other end of the bar. He was holding a beer in one hand, and the other was fisted at his side. And his eyes were glued to Lanie. After a deep breath and a little more liquid courage, I walked over to him.

"Want me to go get her?" I asked as I stopped beside him.

It took a moment before my words seemed to register for him. He glanced at me before looking back to Lanie. "Huh?"

I pointed to Lanie as she spun around. "Lanie. Want me to go get her?"

He didn't look at me this time. "No. Why would I?"