Destiny's game

Vijay slowly advanced towards kaveri while everyone watched stupefied. “Vennila…” his voice came out in a whisper as he slowly raised his hand to touch her face. Kaveri, rousing herself from the confused stupor, swatted his hands away.

“Hello, enna panreenga neenga?” Her question jolted everyone back to reality.

“Kaveri, Inga va.” Ganga pulled her away and moved back a bit, throwing a questioning glance at vijay who stood still staring at kaveri, without moving an inch.

Saradha turned to thatha, “Ayya, manichuringa. Avan Inga ipdi prachana pannuvannu ethirpakkala. Epovum engalathan tholla pannuvan. Ipdi unga kittayum sandakku varuvannu ninakala.”

“Irukattum ma. Aana yaaru avan? Eduku unga kita ivlo vanmama irkan?” thatha questioned her.

“Mama, athellam namakku eduku? Thevai illada vishayattha pathi nama yen pesanum. Ithellam keka munna modalla indha ponna pathi kelunga? Iva Inga epdi vanda?” Vijay’s chithappa asked glaring at kaveri.

“Porunga mapla pesuvom.” Thatha sighed and pointed at kaveri. “Indha ponnu…”

Saradha, though confused, answered promptly, “En ponnutha, kaveri”. 

“Ennadhu? Kaveriya? Ithu enna pudhu kadha?” Chithappa looked at her up and down, “Enna? Indha murai enna panlamnu plan panni vandirka? Ivlo naal apram eduku vanda?”

Kaveri looked at him blankly. “ennaya solreenga?”

“Ada unnathan. Ipo eduku thirimbi vanda? Ponavatha poitiye. Apdye illama ipo ennathuku vanda?” 

“Chithappa..” vijay’s angry word immediately silenced his rant. Kaveri glanced at vijay, who gazed at her like a man dying of thirst. Kaveri looked away.

Thatha, sensing her unease, stepped in, “kekrenu thappa eduthukadeenga. Indha ponnu Peru kaveri nu solreenga. Aana indha ponnu iduku munname engluku theryume…”

“Enna solreenga? Ivala epdi theryum?” kaveri’s paati questioned.

“Aamama. Intha ponnu vennila thane. Aana neenga kaveri nu solreenga. Atha ore kolappama irku.” Thatha said.

“Illa. Iva vennila than. Enakku theryum. Iva ennoda vennila.” Vijay’s unequivocal statement shocked not only kaveri, but all her family. 

They looked at one another silently. A gradual understanding seemed to dawn on their faces. Kumaran murmured to Saradha, “Athai…oru Vela….athu…anniku munnadi ivangalku kaveriya theriyumo…” 

“Naanu atha ninache mapla.”

“Ayyayo…kaveriya paru saradha.” Her paati’s shout alerted everyone to kaveri’s state. Her face had drained of all color, and she swayed as memories deep repressed reared their ugly heads. The emotional onslaught overwhelmed her and she fainted and fell on the floor. Vijay was the first to reach her even though he stood a bit away.

“Vennila…vennila…enna paaru. Kanna thorama please..ennachu unaku..kanna thora” his hoarsely called out to her as his eyes welled with unshed tears. “please kanna thora.” His words to her turned to fervent prayers as he cradled her limp form, pressing her close to his chest, unwilling to let anyone else near. 

Ganga, who tried to gently reach kaveri unsuccessfully, turned to her mother helplessly. Saradha and paati, with anxious faces and restless hands, looked at kaveri and vijay, unsure of how to proceed. Thatha, seeing the situation spiraling out of control, took charge.

“Vijay, modalla avala thookupa. Ulla thookitu po. Kalyani doctorku phone pannu” he turned to kaveri’s family, “ellam apram pesiklam. Modalla ulla vanga. Avaluku enna achunu papom.”