Deny

JEAN'S POV

As soon as I left Marco's, I went home to take a shower, rested a bit while waiting for tea and breakfast. Once I was done eating and warming up myself, I got my keys and left. The weather was much better today.

Armed with the information Marco had shared, I drove to the address provided. The roads were cleared from the storm last night, and the sun was shining, casting a warm glow on the world around me. 
I gripped on the steering wheel, determination filling my thoughts. Today, I would make sure that this woman would no longer pose a threat to Marco in any way.

With every step closer to the lady's house, my patience was coming to its limit. I approached the doorstep and rang the bell, waiting for someone to open the door. 
Shortly after, the door opened, revealing the lady. Her expression was a mixture of surprise and annoyance at finding someone at her doorstep so early in the morning.
"Yes?" she asked curtly.
"Good morning," I greeted her, trying to maintain a polite demeanor despite the anger bubbling inside me. "May I come in? I need to have a word with you." 
The lady regarded me suspiciously but eventually stepped aside, allowing me to enter her home.

The lady guided me into the living room, the atmosphere of the house now more refined and luxurious. Plush carpets covered the floor, and expensive-looking artwork adorned the walls. 
She gestured to a deep velvet armchair across from a large couch. "Please, have a seat," she said, her voice smooth and controlled.
As I sat down on the plush armchair, I couldn't help but feel a sense of discomfort and annoyance while looking at her. I cleared my throat and started the conversation. 
"We need to talk," I began, my voice was steady but firm.

The lady raised an eyebrow, clearly intrigued by my serious tone. She settled herself onto the couch across from me, her demeanor calm and collected. 
"About what?" she asked, fixing me with a steady gaze.

"First things first," I started, my voice serious and unwavering. "We need to talk about Marco." 
The lady's eyes widened slightly, her demeanor shifting as she realized the topic of their conversation. She sat up a bit straighter, clearly intrigued. 
"What about him?," she asked, her tone betraying a hint of defensiveness.

Geez, so annoying. We had a conversation where I got her out of her hair. Right now it's the last step, she's calling his parents right now.
"Hello." She greeted as the call was answered.
"Hello, Ms. Glo. Is everything okay?" Mr. Bodt asked.
"Yes, actually I'm no longer interested in this deal, I do not want to marry your son. However our deal can go on if you put more investment as well. Money. No human or anything." I listened to the conversation boredly. Yes, the mobile was on speaker.
"Huh-? What happened? Our deal was final though!" I could sense Mr. Bodt frustration and the muttering of his wife next to him.
"Yes, that's how it is. That's up to you now. I won't be changing my mind."
"Hm. Okay, we'll think about it and let you know.. Bye."
"Bye." And just like that the call ended. I stood up while saying. "Remember the consequences if anything goes against what I said." With that she nodded and stood up to walk me to the door. Pfft. Obviously she'd agree and obey when she knows who I am.
"Goodbye, Mr. Kirstein."
"Bye." Just as I got in the car, Marco texted me.
"Jean! She denied!! I'm so happy! Thank youu!!" I smiled at his text and a couple of more texts of heart emojis and stuff. I reacted to the messages with ♥️😘 and thought to message more but got a call.

I started driving and answered the call.
"Jean, I hate to break this news to you as it's quite bad-" Hange spoke.
"Is it about Mikasa?" I asked unfazed by what it could be. I really don't care about any of it anymore for a long time now. I had asked Hange to pass me any information she'd find though. I at least have the right to know.
"Yeahh.."
"Go ahead."
Hange's voice on the other end of the line sounded hesitant, as if she wasn't sure how to break the news. 
My expression remained stoic as I heard her confirmation that the news was indeed about Mikasa. I had asked Hange to keep me updated, even though at this point, I felt indifferent. I wanted to hear about it anyway. 
"I'm listening," I said, my tone emotionless.

Hange paused for a moment, the news clearly weighing on her conscience. Then, she spoke with a weary sigh. 
"Jean, it's worse than you think. Mikasa..." Hange swallowed, hesitating to continue. "Mikasa only stayed with you and told you she loves you to use you and hurt you... to get revenge for what you did to Eren's head in that high school fight."
Hange continued, her voice heavy with regret. "It turns out... Mikasa only agreed to the engagement and marriage to hurt you." 
Hange's words lingered in the air, the news about Mikasa's intentions stinging like a thousand needles. 
I took a moment to process the information. I felt a pang of disgust at Mikasa's manipulative actions, but deep down, I wasn't surprised. 
"I see..," I finally responded, my voice calm and measured. "So Mikasa's been using this whole *us* thing as a form of revenge for the time I accidentally injured Eren.."
"Yeah" Pfft, that's quite hilarious. Good luck with having him. I said those words in my head sarcastically. I could care less about what she gains and what she loses. My one and only priority is Marco.
"Alright, thanks Hange. I'm driving right now so yeah."
"Okayyyy take care!" Of course, her highly energetic and maniac self is out. With that I ended the call and drove home. Another chapter of life closed. From my life as well as Marco's and I am happy for that.