Chapter 1

*3 years later*

*3 years later*

It has been a while but Evelyn was still there. Every month more people came through the box. Well, boys. She really thought it was time to get another girl here.

Evie was the leader of the glade, also one of the runners. When she wasn't running, she just helped where needed.

Running is a job where you run through the maze and try to map it and find an exit.

Yeah, the place she was scared to enter, she now daily visited as her job.

She wasn't the person she was 3 years ago. She became more fearless, she build up a wall. She didn't want anyone to see her as weak, after all she is the leader.

The boy who came after her, Alby, is the second in command. He's a pretty nice guy and helps her when needed.

In the 3 years Evelyn made sure to give the guys jobs. It now is a little village. She was satisfied with her work. She became used to this life, after all she couldn't remember her life before the glade.

"Hey. You good?" Newt her best friend asked. They were in their little tree house in the woods. They mostly came there to clear their heads. Newt was the next person, after Alby, who arrived in the glade. She saw him as a brother, really.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just need a little break from all of this every now and then, you know?"

"Yeah, of course. There should be another greenie arriving today. Gally's already making his special recipe." He nudged her.

"No! That tastes like shit. I should really get a ban on it." She laughed.

"You have a point in that. Shouldn't you be in the maze?"

"Minho's with Ben today." Minho is the keeper of the runners. Also a close friend of Evelyn's. Evie does find him cute though. You can't deny it!

Minho is a pretty flirty guy but only towards her. Evie always dismissed the thought and just said to herself that he must act like that to every girl.

But she's the only girl here.. so she doesn't know the answer. But she was sure they would never be something more. They couldn't be! Totally platonic...

Suddenly the alarm went off. She sighed. "You ready?" Newt asked.

"I guess.."

As she said that the two ran towards the box to welcome the greenie.

‎as 2 gladers opened the doors, gally jumped in the box and slightly frightened the greenie.

"Day one, greenie. Rise and shine." Gally quite literally grabbed the green bean and threw him out of the box.

Evie slightly smirked.

As the gladers surrounded the boy they all murmured things Evelyn didn't bother to listen properly to.

What she did find amusing was greenie running away, and boy could he run fast. Could even be a runner.

"Ay, we got a runner!" Zart exclaimed as the boys laughed.

But suddenly, he tripped over his own feet.

That did make Evie chuckle. Funniest thing she'd seen all day.

He slowly stood up and took in his surroundings as the boys clapped for the greenie.

"Gally." Evelyn spoke getting his attention. "Put our new greenie in the pit. Don't want him running off, do we?"

"Yes, ma'am." Gally jokingly saluting her.

To anyone else Gally might seem an ass, well he is, but not to Evie. Well, most of the time.

The two were pretty close. They always found themselves similar.

Both might seem as dickheads when you first meet him but once they get comfortable they might seem as one of the nicest people.

After her encounter with Gally, she walked over to Alby. "Do you mind taking green bean on a tour once he calms down."

"Not at all." He smiled. He knew his leader wasn't that socially great. She'll probably scare the poor boy off.

‎‧₊˚✧ ୧ ‧₊˚ 🍂 ⋅✧˚₊‧

Later that day she was sharpening her knife. She always did that when she was bored. But fortunately and unfortunately for her, greenie started to walk towards the maze.

She sat her supplies down on a table and ran towards the greenbean.

"Hey!" She screamed as she pushed the boy away from the maze. "Try to go in there and you'll get a far worse punishment than the pit, greenie."

"Get off of me!" He exclaimed kicking her legs and getting to his feet.

She pulled out her pocketknife. "You stay away from the maze, got it?" She gritted through her teeth.

"Just relax." Gally tried to calm him down.

"What the hell is wrong with you guys?"

"Just calm down, alright?" The British boy tried.

"No! Why won't you tell me what's out there?"

"We're just trying to protect you." Alby tried to reason.

"Alright, you guys can't just keep me!"

Evelyn groaned. "Can't greenie just calm his tits down for a moment" she said while pointing her knife. "You can't just leave, okay?"

"Why not?"

And then he got his answer. A griever screeched. The sound echoing through the glade.

Then the maze doors closed, stopping the greenie from trying another attempt.

"I might have the responsibility to protect you just like the other graders, but do something like this again and I'll throw you in the maze myself." The girl said. Her knife so close to his face, one wrong move and his eye's out.

She then walked back to what she was doing and angrily sharpened her knife.

Later she decided to skip the bonfire and sit in the treehouse.

Never has a greenie been so difficult. Why is he not scared but curious?

She heard hustling and looked around to find newt climbing up.

"And why were you not at the bonfire." He offered a small smile.

"Just.. the greenie is a pain in the ass already. Most gladers would rather die than step foot in the maze. Why is he so fucking curious?"

"Language, love." He earned a playful glare which he returned with a nudge. "It'll eventually be fine. He will find a job and stop longing for the maze."

"Yeah you're right." She leaned her head on his shoulder. Still there was a gut feeling saying 'what if it doesn't stop? What if he's going to be the reason all will go downhill?'

"Also he finally remembered his name. It's Thomas."

"Such a fitting name for a shank." Newt laughed at her comment.

‎‧₊˚✧ ୧ ‧₊˚ 🍂 ⋅✧˚₊‧