Ch.9 - Reality Check

Alexei stepped into his house, the heavy wooden door shutting behind him with a soft click. He loosened the tie around his neck, the weight of the day's events bearing down on him. The last thing he wanted to deal with was anything outside of work; but as he walked into the dimly lit living room, he froze.

Sitting casually on his couch, on her phone, one leg crossed over the other, was Roxanne. Uninvited, as usual.

She leaned back, arms stretched across the top of the couch, looking completely at ease in his space. Her trademark smirk was already in place, as if she knew exactly how much she was about to unsettle him.

Roxanne raises an eyebrow at the way Alexei's looking at her. "Why're you looking at me as if i'm some alien?"

Alexei groans as he pinches the bridge of his nose. "because you are an alien, Roxanne." He muttered, under his breath.

"Pardon?" Roxanne raised an eyebrow, not really fazed by what he said, but alien?

Alexei sighed, as he looked at Roxanne with a tired expression. "You heard me," he muttered, louder. He walks over to the bar to pour himself a drink. "You show up unannounced, invade my space, and act like it's the most normal thing in the world. What else am I supposed to call you?"

Roxanne chuckled, the sound light and teasing. "Oh, come on. You make it sound like I've barged in here with a spaceship and alien tech. It's just a casual visit, Alexei."

He downed a sip of whiskey, his eyes narrowing at her. "Casual, sure. I don't remember giving you a key."

Roxanne shrugged, unfazed by his irritation. "You didn't. I have my ways." She gestured around the room. "Besides, it's not like you'd be doing anything interesting at this hour. What, sulking with a drink over your latest business conquest? I thought it'd be nice to give you some company."

Alexei bristled at her remark, setting his glass down with a bit more force than necessary. "God, who knew you could get any more annoying that you already were?"

Roxanne raised an eyebrow, clearly entertained by his reaction. She shifted slightly on the couch, her posture still relaxed but with an air of quiet amusement that only served to further irritate him. "Oh, don't be so dramatic," she teased, her smirk widening. "I'm just trying to keep you from drowning in your own self-pity. It's not my fault you have the emotional range of a rock."

Alexei shot her a look, his hand tightening around his glass. Before he could retort, Roxanne's smirk deepened as something flickered in her eyes.

"Oh, I think I do know what's bothering you," she leaned forward slightly, her eyes gleaming with curiosity as she watched his reaction closely. "It's about him, isn't it?"

Alexei's expression faltered for just a fraction of a second, but it was enough for Roxanne to notice. Her smirk grew wider, the look in her eyes more mischievous. "Oh yes," she continued, her voice dripping with amusement. "It's definitely about him."

"Maybe, Maybe not. You'll never know, Roxanne."

Roxanne's smirk didn't waver, though a flicker of amusement danced in her eyes, "You always were good at playing the mystery card," she mused. "But we both know that walls don't last forever, especially not with someone like him."

Alexei scoffed, his eyes narrowing just slightly as he regarded her. "You've always enjoyed poking at things that aren't your business."

Roxanne shrugged, her casual demeanor unwavering. "Hey, I just call it like I see it. Besides-"

And before Roxanne could finish her statement, Alexei cuts her off. "You're reading too much into thing, Roxanne. What happens at work, stays there. It's just business." his voice was calm, perhaps... a little too calm.

Roxanne raised an eyebrow, clearly unfazed. "Is that what you're calling it now?" Her smirk grew, and the amusement in her eyes deepened as she leaned forward slightly, tilting her head as if she could see right through him. "Business?"

Alexei clenched his jaw, keeping his expression carefully neutral. "Yes. Business."

She's clearly enjoying herself. "You know, for someone who's always been so in control, you're different when it comes to him, don't you think you should give him a break?"

"What's that supposed to mean, Roxanne?" He raises his eyebrow.

Roxanne leaned back against the couch, crossing her arms with that signature, smug look of hers. "Oh, come on, Alexei. You're smart. You know exactly what I mean."

 She paused for a beat, letting the tension in the air grow.

"You're not just keeping him at a professional distance, Alexei. You're testing him, every chance you get. Maybe it's to see how far you can push him before he breaks... or maybe it's to test yourself, to see if you can keep your own walls up."

"I don't have walls." Alexei's words were short and simple. He needed not to explain more, judging by the tone of his voice.

"Right." Roxanne's voice was filled with sarcasm. "No walls. Just a fortress. You know, it's okay to admit that you actually care about someone. It won't kill you." Her tone softened, almost to a point where it was genuine. "You can't keep pretending this is just business. Not with him."

Alexei smirks, he scoffs. "He's not my partner, i'm not treating him like one. He's Evan, i'm just... you know, helping him."

Roxanne crossed her arms, her expression turning serious. "Helping him? You're hurting the poor guy, Alexei. And you know it."

Alexei spoke, his voice laced with indifference. "He's fine. He's stronger than you think, really."

Roxanne shook her head, her eyes narrowing as she studied her brother. "That's not the point. You can't keep playing these games with him, acting like you're some knight in shining armor while dragging him through emotional hell. He's not just some pawn in your little business or personal scheme."

Before Alexei could reply, Roxanne speaks up. "You care about him, but you're too damn proud to admit it, even to yourself. And in the process, you're hurting him and yourself."

Alexei lets out a breath he didn't know he was holding. "You don't know anything about what's going on between us, Rox. Leave it be."

"No! No, I won't. You keep acting like you're okay and everything. It's okay to show emotions sometimes, just because you don't cry everyday doesn't mean he doesn't."

"Are you suggesting he does?" He stopped, unwilling to finish the thought.

"He's obviously in trouble, Alexei."

"Like?"

Roxanne raises her eyebrow. "And I thought you didn't care about him?"

Alexei shot her a sharp look, trying to deflect. "I'm just asking."

She crosses her arms, tilting her head a bit as she smirks. "Then why're you asking?"

Alexei's patience is starting to wear thin. "Because I want to know. And you have to tell me." His voice sharper than before, he wasn't in the mood for games.

Roxanne shrugged. "No."

Alexei blinked. "What do you mean, 'no'?" 

"I'm not your errand girl, Alexei. You want answers? You figure it out yourself." Roxanne's voice was firm, but there was something in her tone that suggested she wasn't being cruel. Just resolute.