EPISODE 9: MONSTER

UNKNOWN

UNKNOWN

── ⋅ ⋅ ── ── ⋅ ⋅ ──

I was on the hunt. I couldn't control my hunger, I just kept running. Ahead I saw her—Nerissa. She didn't scream or run, instead she just stood there. Like she knew there was no point in trying to escape... from me.

"You're a monster."

It was Dorothy's voice. I growled, trying to ignore her voice in my head but it kept growing louder.

"You've always been the monster."

I tried to stop. But there was something in me that kept pushing me to go further. I leapt towards Nerissa, tearing her apart into pieces. Her screams turned into a gurgle as her blood splattered across the ground.

I stared down below at the lifeless body. This was my doing. She was dead because of me. Yet, as I stood there I felt nothing. No remorse, no guilt, just hunger. Somehow I wasn't satisfied. This hunger I had urged me to keep killing.

Suddenly, the trees around me shifted. It wasn't just Nerissa. There were more bodies now.

Boy Blue, Beauty, Beast, Snow.. Faye. They were all dead.

What the fuck have I done?

I stumbled back, shaking my head in fear. "No.. I didn't do this.. I—"

"But you did. They're all dead because of you, Bigby."

I saw all their faces. Their eyes had all opened now, and they were looking at me. They looked so scared. Like they were afraid.. of me. I turned, and Dorothy was standing there in front of me. She stepped closer, studying me.

"You did this!" I shouted, lunging towards her. But she disappeared into thin air. I fell to the ground as tears started to flow down from my eyes now.

I'm not a monster.. I'm not a fucking monster.

My eyes jolted open and I sat up despite the pain from my chest. The room was dark, and I could hear the hum of a heater nearby. Faye was sitting aside me, her hand rested on mine. Her eyes were puffy and red, like she hadn't slept—or stopped crying—for days.

"Bigby, you're awake."

I swallowed, my throat dry. "Where is everyone?"

Faye's grip on my hand tightened. "Snow is waiting outside but the others.. they couldn't bear to see you like this. I just couldn't leave you though."

I managed a small smile. "I appreciate that, Faye."

Faye smiled back as she wiped a tear from her eye with her free hand. "I guess that means no more good cop bad cop for us."