EPISODE 6: SILVER

1 DAY LATER

1 DAY LATER...

DR. BERNEM'S LAB

── ⋅ ⋅ ── ── ⋅ ⋅ ──

"This isn't normal blood

"This isn't normal blood..."

"What do you mean?"

Dr. Bernem spun around in his chair, holding a vial of the blood from the crime scene. His desk was a chaotic mess, papers strewn everywhere, and writing utensils scattered across the table. A variety of pictures, some crossed out, were taped to the wall behind him.

"Look at it—nothing seems off to you?" He said, holding up the vial in the light. I leaned in closer, squinting to see what he was talking about.

"Looks fine to me."

Dr. Bernem shook his head in frustration. "No, no, no... this is the blood of a Kitsune."

"A what now?" Faye asked, raising an eyebrow.

Dr. Bernem flung open the drawers of his desk, rummaging through them until he retrieved a small brown book. He placed it on the desk and flipped through the pages. I met Faye's gaze, and she shrugged, just as puzzled as I was. Finally, Dr. Bernem stopped on a page and pointed to an illustration of a fox with multiple tails, surrounded by cryptic symbols.

"A Kitsune," he explained, tapping the page. "Kitsune are fox spirits that possess intelligence, longevity, and magical abilities. They can shape-shift, and their blood is said to have unique properties. They've been known to bite humans and feed on their blood."

"Oh, what the fuck?" Faye said, shaking her head.

"Okay... so if this was a Kitsune—"

"A Kitsune," Dr. Bernem interrupted, correcting me.

"Right... so if this was a Kitsune, wouldn't I have been able to smell it? My senses are heightened, after all." I felt a bit defensive about missing something so crucial.