Chapter 4: Squad 7 Assembles

(Note: I do not own anything. It is purely for entertainment purposes only.)

"In March of 1935, Byzantium and his allies launched the war against their adversaries, sparking the Second World War. The invasion of Eastern Gallia was the military operation that started the conflict. Prince Maximillian, appointed as commander of the Gallian invasion, built his army around the Blitzkrieg tactics developed by Guderian. As a result, the Gallian military became crippled in the opening hours of the invasion, with their fortresses along the border falling into Imperial hands in quick succession. Bruhl's fall in under two hours was typical of towns within the Empire's path, and the road to the safety of the capital bore a steady flow of refugees.

A month passed as the Germans emerged victorious in battle after battle against the Gallians. Despite putting up a heroic defense, the tiny principality could do little to halt the Imperial advance as city after city fell to the Empire in its drive towards the Gallian capital of Randgriz. Since ancient times, Gallia's capital had long been secure and stable, only having been conquered once in its long history. Within its walls stood Castle Randgriz, one of the most impressive castles in Europe. Within its tall spire resided both Gallia's Regent and Cordelia, Gallia's princess and heir to the throne as Archduchess.

When we arrived at the capital, smoke billowed from some of the city's neighborhoods. It was clear that even Randgriz wasn't out of reach for the Germans, who, thanks to their new air superiority over Gallia, continually harassed the city with small strafing runs and bombing raids. All this was to remind the million people within the city that nothing in Gallia was safe from the encroaching Imperial might.

Welkin, Alicia, and Isara left to join the Gallian Militia the day after we had arrived at the capital. They went to Fort Amatriain, the military headquarters for the Gallian military, for their recruitment process to be finalized before being sent to the front lines. That same day, I learned that, to my surprise, President Roosevelt and Congress had declared war on Germany. I never did find out what it was that changed their minds from the isolationist policies that had dominated America since the last war. But whatever it was, it must have been significant enough.

Supporting Gallia's policy of neutrality was a system of universal conscription. Under it, all schools required military training each year. In the event of a war, citizens were then drafted into the militia to defend their country. As Gallia's conflict with Germany worsened, Welkin, Alicia, Isara, and I found ourselves no exceptions to that fate. " - Jack Lawrence.

Fort Amitriain

April 10, 1935

Fort Amatriain was the center of the Gallian military. Located several miles outside of the capital city of Randgriz, it was from here that the Gallian military organized and coordinated the defense of their homeland against the German invaders. Many of the recruits for both the Militia and the Regular Army passed through here for training and receiving their orders before being shipped out towards the front lines. It was here that Welkin, Alicia, and Isara went after arriving in Randgriz, signing up for the Militia as soon as possible.

They had to complete paperwork for nearly a month and undergo refresher training before finally being fitted for their uniforms. Welkin had just been handed his uniform earlier today. Taking it to the office assigned to him, Welkin put the light blue uniform on and looked at himself in the mirror. His uniform was that of an officer, complete with a service cap, binoculars, a compass, a map, and a radio headset used by tank commanders (which would come in handy if he was ever assigned to use a tank). As he looked at himself in the mirror, Welkin took a moment to sink in the reality that he was in the militia.