FIHWY - 14

Falling in Hate With You

Chapter Fourteen

The cans of spray paint clinked together as I chucked three more in the bag, causing a small, harmonious rattle. I started going over my mental checklist. While checking things off, I hefted my second back pack I used just for these occasions onto my bed before turning my attention to getting dressed.

Pulling on some black jogging pants with deep pockets, a long sleeved dark grey shirt and a tight black hoodie, I continued making sure everything was in order. Jared let Nikki extend her weekend stay with him like we did every month so I could have a Monday night free.

The excitement was swirling in my stomach, the familiar jangle of nerves running through my veins. Tucking my black bandanna and ball cap in my bag, I checked my phone for the time; a little after ten P.M., Jacky would be here soon.

We had decided to head to the next town over for the night, and the rest of the crew agreed to split up farther than last time – much farther. The risk would be decreased, and hopefully everyone would stay safe tonight. My phone buzzed.

Jacky:

Any day now, Princess.

Tasha:

Hakuna your tatas, bruh.

Jacky:

Hakuna my what nows???

Tasha:

Your tits, calm them.

Jacky:

My tits are none of your concern. And don't objectify me!

I snorted and shoved my phone in my pocket before glancing over my room, checking if I had everything and pulling on my bag. Sliding into his car less than a minute later, we locked eyes, our excitement almost brimming over.

Competition night was here.

"Ready?" His eyes glimmered in anticipation, lips tipping up.

"As always, you?"

"Baby, do you even have to ask?"

"What did I say about calling me that? It gives people the wrong idea, you oaf," I snapped as I hit him, but not too hard; nothing could bring me down tonight.

He laughed, angling his car away from the curb and starting the thirty minute drive to Bayview. I did my part by plugging in my phone and blasting our "Illegal Activities" playlist, the bass-y beats of the Step Up and Kick-Ass soundtracks pounded through the speakers. Pulling my legs up underneath me, I rolled down the window, taking a deep breath of the salty ocean air; maybe I'm biased but I think it smells better at night.

My arm hung out, bumping against the door as the car rolled along the town roads towards the on-ramps, speeding down the highway. We didn't talk much; our nerves were far too wired for simple conversation.

When we arrived at our destination, Jacky and I threw our cellphones and wallets in the car dash before exiting the car. Pulling our backpacks out of the trunk, Jacky locked the cruddy little Civic.

Slamming the hatch shut, he looked at me, his steel eyes hooded in the light of the full moon, "Who goes first?"

I shrugged, "Mine might take a while tonight, you?"