Chapter Twenty-Seven: Debutante

As the boys approached the girls' dorm, a heavy silence fell over them. Dylan could feel his heart pounding as the thought of the Formal Ball consumed his mind. They reached the door, and Dylan hesitated before knocking. Inside, they could hear muffled laughter.

Sophie opened the door with a wide grin. "Well, well, look who's here."

"We have some questions," Dylan muttered.

Sophie smirked. "We figured. Come in."

The boys shuffled into the room, each of them nervously fidgeting. They exchanged anxious glances as they sat down, the tension between them palpable.

Olivia, sitting cross-legged on one of the beds, eyed them with amusement. "So, what's on your mind?"

"The Ball," Aaron blurted, twirling his hair, a new nervous habit he picked up. "We... don't know what to expect. Ms. Abbott hasn't exactly explained much."

"We figured you'd ask about this soon... the famous Debutante Ball," Olivia said with a dramatic sigh, leaning back on the bed. "It's the highlight of the semester. Or, should I say, the test of the semester?"

"Test..." Marcus repeated, his voice uneasy. "Yeah, Abbott mentioned it's the mid-term or something?"

Sophie chuckled, clearly enjoying their discomfort. "Sure is."

Dylan shifted uncomfortably in his seat, picking at the hem of his skirt. "But... what are we supposed to do?"

Olivia grinned mischievously. "Well, it's simple. Crestwood invites a few boys from nearby private schools—or sometimes the sons of staff members—and you'll be expected to socialize with them during the social hour. You know, small talk, pleasantries—basic etiquette. Then, after that, the real fun begins."

"Fun?" Dylan asked, his voice full of skepticism.

Sophie nodded, barely hiding a smile. "One of the boys will ask you to dance and you'll politely  accept while offering out your hand. He'll guide you out unto the floor and you two will dance the night away and live happily ever after!"

Aaron's eyes widened in panic. "Dance?! We have to dance with those guys?"

"Oh, don't worry," Olivia said, biting back a laugh. "You'll have plenty of time to practice. The whole week leading up to the Ball is basically dedicated to learning the dance. You'll be professional little waltzer by the end of it."

Aaron's fingers twisted faster through his hair, his face growing pale. "I... can't dance."

Kyle, tapping his foot nervously. "Neither can I."

"And what if we mess up?" Dylan questioned.

Sophie and Olivia exchanged an exaggerated, sympathetic look. "Well," Sophie began slowly, "the teachers will be watching. You'll be graded on everything: your posture, your disposition, how well you interact with your partner. But don't worry," she added with a wink, "you're mostly just following their lead."

Dylan felt his stomach flip. This was sounding worse by the second. He could tell the others were feeling the same by how they shifted in their seats, fidgeting and tapping away their anxiety.

"Wait," Marcus interrupted, suddenly suspicious. "You're enjoying this, aren't you?"

Olivia smiled innocently. "Maybe a little."

Kyle groaned, slumping back against the wall. "This is going to be a disaster."

"Oh, it gets better," Sophie said, her tone light but teasing. "Have you thought about what you're going to wear?"