Chapter 20 - Wilted Roses

"You brainwashed me?" Emily asks. She and Vox were walking down the sidewalk along Pentagram City.

"Pretty much. I was planning to use you against Charlie and her hotel, but I realized that it doesn't feel right to pick you out of everyone. You're too kind for this." Vox explained. "You're not mad at me for that, are you?"

"Not at all."

"That's a relief." He says. "Oh, here we are."

Emily notices a sign that reads, "Welcome to Cannibal Town."

"They've got all the romance shit here." Vox explained.

It seems pretty nice in this town, other than the fact that there are demons eating each other's organs. Emily tried her best not to pay attention to any of that. She and Vox approach a garden of rose bushes and many other flowers. The roses look normal, but the rest of the flowers look more... demonic.

"Ok, let's see what kind of flowers we can pick here." Emily says.

"We're not gonna do just roses?" Vox asks.

"In my opinion, the more colorful, the better."

She reaches for a tulip-looking flower, but it grows teeth and tries to attack the angel. Emily flinches back in surprise.

"And the less dangerous." She added.

"The harmless ones are over there on the left." Vox tells her as he points to another pile of flowers.

"Oh, thank you." Emily walks over to the less dangerous flowers and starts looking.

Vox looks at a bush of roses. Every single rose is beautiful and perfect for a partner. The overlord plucks one from the bush. He can't help but just stare at the flower.

"...Vox?"

He wakes up. "Y-yeah?"

"You ok?"

"I'm fine, sweetheart. I just-"

Suddenly, a shadowy figure teleports behind Vox.

"Ah, Vox. Quite the pleasure to be seeing you again, old friend."

"Alastor!" Vox yelled.

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to take the angel back." The radio demon turns towards Emily. "Come along, my dear. We're going back to the hotel-"

"Wait, wait, it's ok. Vox isn't not hurting me, I promise. I'm only helping him out."

Alastor raises an eyebrow. "...You're what?"

"Yeah. He wants to find a date."

"A date, hmm?"

Vox looks away from the radio demon, nervously. "Ummm... y-yeah..."

"Well, I've never seen you so open on a relationship before."

"Oh, and what do you know about it, wise ass?!"

Emily pipes in. "Vox, please-"

Vox continues, "You think that you're top shit, that you know how everything works in this world. Can you even fucking tell who loves you or not?!"

"Very incongruous coming from someone who dates a man that craves sex over their partner."

"Fuck you, Alastor! At least he can fuck unlike you!"

"Is this what this is all about?"

Emily tries once again to defuse the situation. "Guys, come on-"

"That's not the point!" Vox shouts. "I loved you! I loved you, and you told me that I would die alone and no one would ever give a shit about me!"

Alastor looks at the TV overlord in confusion. "...I said what?"

"You know what I'm talking about! Those things you said that ended our friendship twenty years ago."

The radio stared at Vox, dumbfounded. He then pinched the ridge of his nose. "Jesus Christ..."

"Is everything ok?" Emily asked.