Chapter 22

"I bet I tricked you with that one," Nomad remarked.

"What did you do with her?" Flare asked.

"Were you not listening? I told you that I can turn into the physical form of any soul I consume. Wanna know what happens when someone loses their soul?"

"They... They die..."

"Correct!" Nomad pat Flare on the head. "You're a smart kid. Well, you heard the woman. Now we kill each other."

"What?" Flare asked. Nomad swung his spear and hit Flare's head with the blunt end of the handle, knocking him to the ground. He immediately followed up by throwing the spear into Flare's leg. The wound burned greatly. He never realized how bad being stabbed truly felt. He was so used to not feeling that much pain when he was being controlled and empowered by Underworld.

Nomad walked over to Flare and crouched down next to him. "Well, that was quick," He remarked. "I wish this was more fun, however." He pulled down his scarf. The entirety of his lower jaw was missing. Two bone appendages that resembled sharp fangs jutted out from his throat, acting as a pseudo lower jaw. The fangs slowly lowered as he went to take a bite out of Flare. Flare felt around his waist, looking for his dagger. He found it and immediately unsheathed and swung it into the side of Nomad's head, dragging it through the flesh after making contact.

Nomad felt the wound. "That's a good stab," He said. The wound flashed blue before completely healing up. Nomad took his spear out of Flare's leg. "It's a good thing I can regenerate. I heard you didn't plan this whole thing out." Before Flare could reply, Nomad hit him with the blunt end of his spear, knocking him out cold. He picked up Flare's body and thought about what to do with it.

"Ohh, Caaarnaaage!" He called out.

Carnage appeared out of thin air behind him. "You called?" She said.

"What should we do with the kid?"

Carnage took Flare's body from Nomad and set it on the ground. She raised her hand over Flare's chest, preparing to destroy his heart with her claws. Yet, she didn't act. Her hand began to slowly descend to her side. "I just remembered," She said, "Flare has a use for me." She picked up the body and ordered Nomad to follow her. The two walked through the fortress and went back into the line of jail cells. At the end of the room was a thick titanium door with three keyholes that resembled the tips of the weapons that the Fallen Angels had. Carnage stuck her hand into the keyhole that resembled her claws. The door unlocked and swung open.

On the other side was a small room. A quarter of the room was blocked by a glass wall, and behind that wall were two sets of shackles made from titanium-reinforced soulite. Carnage and Nomad walked through the glass wall as if it were liquid and placed Flare on the ground. Carnage began to walk away. Nomad looked at Flare's body and noticed his dagger. He took it off of him and unsheathed it, staring at the soulite blade.

"Just gonna leave him with all this cool stuff?" Nomad remarked.

"Oh right!" Carnage replied. "Thanks for reminding me." She walked back through the glass wall. She took his gloves and the Cobalt Mantle off of Flare's body. The two saw his copper prosthesis and looked at it in awe before ripping it out of Flare's shoulder. The pain woke him up and he began looking around in fear. Before he could say anything, Nomad knocked him out again.

"That was a useless move," Carnage remarked. "Should've kept him awake."

Nomad nodded. He stomped on Flare's chest, waking him up again. Carnage grabbed Flare's head to keep him stable. "Try not to move and this won't hurt— Well, disregard that," Carnage said. "This will hurt. A lot." She moved her hand closer to Flare's crystal eye. Her hand was still like a surgeon's scalpel. She dug her fingers into Flare's eyelids and ripped the crystal eye from his head.