Chapter 23

Flare returned to the space in his mind. He stood up with his eyes closed, and waited. He didn't know how much time passed before phase one began.

"You finally came running back to me," Underworld remarked. Flare opened his eyes, looking at the evil god that stood in front of him. "I understand, you missed my power. You were tired of being weak and wanted more out of life, and I thank you for allowing me to have you once again."

Flare said nothing. Underworld noticed his face and could feel the rage building up. "You seem angry," He remarked. "You wanted this, so you can't be angry at me."

Flare pointed at the space behind Underworld. "Turn," Flare said. Underworld turned around and saw Marine, Young Flare, and Prime Akelith standing there. His cockiness dropped. While he didn't fear the others, he was a bit scared of the beast. He was unsure if this version of Akelith was the same one who fought against him years ago. Underworld turned to face the older Flare once again. "What is all of this about?" He asked.

Flare responded by jumping forward and punching Underworld across the face. The others joined in, turning the battle into a four-versus-one. Underworld was severely outmatched in power as he had just entered Flare's body and had little to no power. He was quickly overpowered and forced to the ground. The four fighters surrounded him, staying alert in case he ever decided to get up. Old Flare stepped forward and looked down at Underworld. The god looked back.

"You dare look down upon a god?" Underworld asked.

"You are nothing but a soul in my body now," Flare replied. "If you want to stay here, you will listen to me."

"And now you dare try to boss a god around?!" Underworld yelled. He stood up. "I don't think you understand who exactly you are talking to!" The flames behind his visor began to burn brighter. He went for a quick punch to Flare's chest. Flare pushed his hand away and returned with a punch of his own. The fight then resumed. However, Underworld was slowly gaining the upper hand as he kept gaining his power back during the fight. It got to the point where everyone, except for himself and the older Flare, was on the ground and exhausted. The two began to fight one-on-one.

The fight had gone from magic, dodges, and skillful swings to punching until the other person got knocked down. Underworld and Flare kept throwing punches at each other, hoping that the other person would lose. Underworld took a risk and went for a jab to the head. Flare used his left arm to parry the swing, leaving Underworld open for an attack. He stepped forward, opened up his hand, and slapped Underworld. He took another step and brought his hand back up, hitting the god on the way back. The two stopped fighting after that attack. The arena was silent. The battle was over.

Underworld felt the areas where Flare had hit him. "Slapped and backhanded?" Underworld thought. Flare rushed up and grabbed him by the throat when he didn't expect it.

"You are in my body now," Flare stated. "When I want to hear your voice, I will speak to you first; When I need your powers, I will ask for them; And when I need you to control me, I will tell you when you can. If you break these rules and try to fight back, I swear—On my bloodline—I will not hold back on you. Do you understand?"

Underworld didn't know how to respond. "Bested?" He said to himself. "Was I bested by a mortal— A weak and emaciated mortal?"

"That's not a good answer! Let me say this again—" Flare lifted Underworld off the ground. "Do you understand?!"

Underworld looked at Flare in silence. The flames behind his visor began to die down. He couldn't believe that he was being lifted by a person weaker than him. He was disappointed that he let a lesser being talk down to him. For the first time in ages, Underworld felt disrespected and truly defeated. "Yes..." He said.