Chapter 2

The crowd silenced in anticipation of what Locust had to say. He cleared his throat before continuing. "Just a few days ago, on the fifteenth day of the first month, we lost one of the greatest kings to live." He motioned to the large stone coffin behind him. "Before continuing, we ask for a moment of silence." Locust lowered his head and closed his eyes. The guards and the crowd followed. A minute passed before Locust raised his head again. "Thank you," He said.

"Now, to continue." He turned to face the guards and nodded. The guards picked up the coffin and got it to stand against the wall. They slowly lowered the cover, showing a man inside. Everything under his head was wrapped in cloth bandages. His head was covered by a golden helmet.

"For the ones who do not know, this man is of great importance," Locust said. "This is Aegis Winterbell VI, the last known living member of the Winterbell bloodline. A bloodline of kings, queens, warriors, and various other professions. He led our kingdom for sixty-seven years and protected us from hundreds of attacks. Unfortunately, near the end of his rule, he came down with an unknown sickness. His body grew weak, and he soon no longer had the strength to rule."

Flare had heard of the Winterbell bloodline before, unaware that he was a part of it. He was never told his true last name, as the ones who birthed him wanted to keep him safe. The bloodline had been hunted for centuries, and only a few lived that know why.

"Unfortunately," Locust continued, "He had no offspring to pass the crown to, as a few weeks ago, his last child had gone missing in an attack on the southern city of Ashwood. Some say he was killed, and others say he was captured. Whatever the truth is, Aegis VI was forced to choose me as the next to rule."

Locust kept talking about the life of Aegis VI and himself. Flare zoned out and thought about the attack he had heard. It was a massacre. Hundreds died in that town. The story goes that a mass of unknown creatures climbed over the walls of Ashwood. They destroyed the entrance to prevent anyone from escaping before going wild. Flare could still remember his father's voice.

"It's just a short trip. All we have to do is deliver this sword and we'll be back."

Flare focused back onto Locust. He had finished his speech.

"Now, to end off this funeral with the removal of Aegis VI's helmet. It will be held in a hall of fame under the Voice of God, along with the helmets of all rulers past."

Locust walked over to the coffin. He reached up and took the helmet off of the lifeless body of Aegis VI. He turned to show the helmet to the crowd. Flare looked at the helmet for a moment before looking at the corpse behind it. The man's face was grey, and he had a mix of brown and grey hairs. Flare then noticed something about Aegis VI's head. On his forehead was a tattoo of four blades. It reminded Flare of beast fangs. He began to think of the tattoo that sat on his upper chest.

"Once again," Locust said, "We thank you for attending this funeral. It's heartbreaking to know that a bloodline like the Winterbells had to end so soon, but life is an immovable force. Everyone has to pass on someday. I want to end this with a quote I learned from a friend of mine. We don't hold funerals to mourn the lives we lost but to celebrate the lives we got to experience. I would like to thank all of you for attending this important event."

Flare's focus was split between Locust and the marks on Aegis VI's head. The blades looked almost exactly like his fangs tattoo. The guards on the stage slowly moved the cover back onto the coffin. They then lowered the coffin off of the wall and began to walk off the platform. Locust followed behind them. Flare pushed past the crowd and managed to reach Locust before he walked too far away.

"H—hey!" Flare called out. "Um—King Locust, there's something I wanted to tell you."

Locust looked at Flare. "Hey, kid. I would listen but we need to get this coffin to the Voice of God for burial."