ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 18: " ꜰᴇᴀʀ ᴀɴᴅ ꜱᴀᴅɴᴇꜱꜱ"

♥༻∞ Lee Minho ∞༺♥

∞ Lee Minho ∞

Two weeks had flown by, each day purposefully filled with efforts to create lasting memories. But as the morning sun filtered through the curtains of our bedroom, casting long shadows across the floor, the harsh reality we had temporarily tucked away came rushing back. Today, Jisung was preparing to leave for military service.

From the bed, I observed him standing in front of the bedroom mirror. He was meticulously dressed in his uniform, the fabric stiff and formal, each badge and insignia a stark reminder of his new role that would soon take him away from our shared life.

As Jisung adjusted the collar of his uniform and smoothed down the material, his hands began to tremble, betraying his composed exterior. He paused, taking a deep, steadying breath, trying to regain control.

Watching him struggle to maintain his composure stirred something deep within me. I couldn't remain a passive observer. Sliding out of bed, I approached him quietly. Each step felt heavy, laden with the gravity of our looming separation.

"Jisung," I said softly as I reached him by the mirror. Our eyes met in the reflection, a tumult of emotions swirling in his gaze—determination mingled with fear and a silent plea for reassurance.

He attempted a smile, but it faltered, unable to mask his anxiety. "I'm okay," he assured me, though his voice quivered slightly, revealing his true feelings.

I reached out, covering his trembling hands with my own. Our fingers intertwined, providing a moment of comfort and stability. "You don't have to pretend with me," I whispered, meeting his eyes in the mirror.

His shoulders relaxed under my touch, and he turned to face me directly, his eyes glistening with unshed tears. "I'm scared, Minho. I'm really scared of what awaits me, of leaving you behind. We've prepared as much as we can, but it still feels like I'm stepping into a vast unknown."

I pulled him into a tight embrace, letting him feel the solidity of my presence. "It's completely okay to be scared. This is a big change for us both. But remember, I'm right here. I'll be here when you get back. We're going to get through this together, no matter what it takes," I assured him, my voice soft but firm.

He nodded against my shoulder, his voice muffled. "I'm going to miss you so much."

"And I'll miss you, too. But remember, we'll keep talking every day—video calls, letters, whatever it takes. You're not going to get rid of me that easily," I said, hoping to inject a bit of lightness into the somber moment.

Jisung chuckled softly, stepping back to look at me. "I wouldn't dream of it," he replied, his smile more genuine this time.

As we stood together, the world outside continued to move forward, seemingly oblivious to the significant shift occurring inside our apartment. Jisung glanced once more at his reflection, then at me, as if confirming his resolve.