Chapter 12: A Final Stand!

The next morning arrived, dark clouds lingering over the Peak District. The camp was quieter than usual, a palpable tension hanging in the air. Kane woke early, staring at the dull ceiling of the cabin. His thoughts were already racing. He had one mission left before he could make his escape: deal with Ty.

Outside, the other campers were stirring. Ty and his group moved sluggishly about their cabin, still rattled by Rico's absence. Ty's frustration boiled beneath the surface. His mind was replaying Rico's words from the hospital visit. Elise had set him up. Kane's crew was behind everything, and Ty knew it. His movements were sharper, more erratic, as he paced around the room, already plotting his revenge.

Back in Kane's cabin, the mood was different. Curtis, Mobsy, Declan, Alex, and Molly were all quiet, sitting around the small space, the weight of what they had done the previous night heavy in the air. They didn't speak much. Kane, as always, remained cold and calculating, his mind on his exit strategy, not on the fractured dynamics of their group.

Elise's absence was soon addressed when the camp leader, Mr. Saunders, arrived to inform them.

"Elise won't be coming back," he said plainly, his arms crossed. "She's got a broken leg, and she's being sent home. She can't participate in the camp anymore."

Declan sighed with relief. "At least she's safe from them now."

Kane shrugged indifferently, his eyes distant. "Doesn't matter."

Declan glanced at him but said nothing. Kane's coldness had grown more pronounced recently, but it wasn't worth questioning.

Outside the camp, the police were already at work. They scoured the field where Rico had been found, their flashlights sweeping over the trampled grass. As they moved further, they found something-motorbike tracks leading away from the scene, and broken branches nearby, marking where Rico must have crawled.

"These tracks...," one officer muttered, kneeling by the prints. "It looks like they lead straight to the cabins."

Another officer straightened, nodding towards the camp leader, Mr. Saunders, who was watching from a distance. "This fits. Didn't one of the kids have a motorbike?"

"Yeah," the officer responded, "Alex, I think."

The police exchanged a look. "It's possible he was involved," one of them said.

They approached Mr. Saunders, who had walked over to join them. "Any idea how these kids could have gotten weapons?" one officer asked. "We found signs of multiple blunt force impacts."

Mr. Saunders rubbed the back of his neck. "The shed where we keep the sports gear is always locked. No way they could've got in."

One of the officers raised an eyebrow. "Anyone unsupervised on that day?"

Mr. Saunders hesitated before nodding. "Curtis and Mobsy. They stayed back at the cabin, said they were sick."

The police's eyes narrowed. "Interesting."

"Could they have taken the weapons from the shed?" another officer asked.

Saunders paused. He recalled Curtis' and Mobsy's fake illness. "It's possible. They were alone, and Curtis has a reputation for being... resourceful."

The police started forming a theory. "So, Curtis and Mobsy steal the weapons, Alex is there with the motorbike, and Kane-this Kane, he's the ringleader?"

Mr. Saunders nodded slowly. "Yeah, if I had to guess, Kane's in charge now. Ever since Rico was taken out, it's been him running the show."

The police exchanged a look. "We need to speak to Kane."