15. The Punishment of the Rogue Prince

{Please note that this chapter contains explicit violence}  

Inside the room, the flickering light of the fire in the fireplace provided a comforting warmth, contrasting with the darkness brought on by the storm raging outside. Aegon sat in an armchair, while his older brother and niece occupied a plush black sofa, side by side. Rhaenyra, initially smiling, wiped the expression from her face as she slowly opened her eyes, while Daemon began to wear a look of astonishment that soon turned into a mocking laugh.

"You must be joking".

Aegon looked at them seriously, shaking his head hesitantly. His gaze fell on Rhaenyra as he murmured firmly.

"I'm not. The announcement will be made at the dinner our brother has been organizing for us and the Lords of the Great Houses".

An awkward silence fell over the room. Rhaenyra looked down and sighed, still confused.

"How long ago did my father summon you to express that desire?" she asked, her voice barely a whisper. At her words, Daemon let out a small laugh, prompting his wife and brother to fix their gaze on him, but Aegon tried to ignore it as he responded to Rhaenyra.

"Not long ago... I think it's only been a moon. The letter he sent for me to travel to the Red Keep came after his children visited us in Highgarden, along with Princess Rhaenys".

The princess's gaze drifted again, and she began to nervously play with a ruby ring adorning her index finger. It was then that Daemon narrowing his eyes, fixed his stare on his younger brother.

"What did Viserys say? Exactly".

Aegon felt a chill at the tone of his older brother's voice. He knew Daemon was upset; his disdain for Alicent's children was evident, despite them being his nephews as well. Not letting that affect him, he maintained a serious expression as he replied.

"He said he desired the union of my daughter with Prince Aemond... that he longed to unite the Targaryen blood and to know more grandchildren before his passing".

"Has his health deteriorated that much?" Rhaenyra interjected, concern in her voice. She hadn't seen her father since the wedding of her half-brothers, Aegon and Helaena. Since then, they had only been invited to events they could not attend, like the birth of the twins and their name days.

Rhaenyra had tolerated too much from the queen, her half-brothers, and the courtiers who, like peacocks, watched her and her family with hostility. Her older children faced disdainful looks for their bastardy, and the accusations of "murder" against Ser Laenor only complicated matters. Corlys and Princess Rhaenys had also shown their distrust, and even offering Baela to appease their grandmother had done little to ease tensions.

Dragonstone had proven to be her refuge, her home. There, her children were at peace, and now, with the announcement of her second pregnancy with Daemon, the last thing she wanted was to return to the capital. Only the presence of Aegon, Meria and Daemma could lift her spirits, for she knew they sincerely cared for her.

Both Daemon and Aegon softened their expressions at the thought of their dear older brother. Daemon watched, waiting for a response and Aegon whispered calmly to both of them.

"His condition is worsening... his injuries are evident, and his fatigue is growing. However, he remains lucid and mostly in charge of his duties".

"The Hightowers must be helping him a lot... especially that cockroach" Daemon hissed with evident sarcasm. A heavy silence settled in the room, interrupted only by the rumble of thunder and the powerful sound of rain against the window. Daemon fixed his blue eyes back on his younger brother.