05. What do you think of this marriage...Aemond?

In the Tower of the Hand, Lord Otto Hightower contemplated the prospect of retiring for the night. The night air enveloped the surroundings, and he had always maintained the habit of retiring early to rise among the first, even before the break of dawn.

Seated at his desk of dark wood, his eyes cold and weary, he carefully reviewed the documents within reach. The maids had already lit candles in his chambers, and the silence was only interrupted by his own steady breathing and the rustling of paper.

Just as it seemed there would be no more revelations to uncover that day, his ears caught the sound of footsteps approaching from outside. He rose slowly, hands clasped behind his back, trying to discern who might be arriving when he heard his daughter's voice.

"Father... I know you are here. You must see me," Alicent said solemnly from the doorway.

Otto softened his expression and, after closing the door behind her and ensuring no one else lurked nearby, gestured for Alicent to sit.

"It is unusual for you to visit me at this hour," he remarked calmly, observing his daughter's worried expression as she seated herself carefully, scrutinizing every corner as if wary of another presence.

"My apologies... I could not come sooner," Alicent replied with her usual courtesy.

"So I see... it must be important," Otto conceded, furrowing his brow at the seriousness on his daughter's face. Before he could say anything, she spoke first.

"I have received news from Dragonstone... information that Lord Larys has acquired," Alicent said measuredly.

Otto's eyebrows raised slightly at the mention of Larys, nodding once while maintaining his stern expression. Alicent met his gaze directly before proceeding cautiously.

"Princess Rhaenyra and Prince Daemon... plan to betroth Princes Jacaerys and Lucerys Velaryon to their cousins... Lady Daemma and Meria Targaryen."

The news did not seem to surprise Otto as much as Alicent anticipated, though his lips curled slightly before he posed a question.

"And does this surprise you, daughter?"

Alicent glanced down briefly, before her father completed the question for her.

"Rhaenyra is determined to assert her right more firmly and is prepared to strike again... first with the death of Ser Laenor Velaryon to marry Daemon, and now this." 

Alicent shook her head slightly as she spoke with hesitation. "That matter was never fully clarified."

"It's as clear as day... even Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys have severed ties with them... they lost their son because of them."

The Hand of the King's tone was always as cold as ice. Queen Alicent, visibly disinterested in discussing the matter, clasped her hands on the table to steer the conversation.

"I've come to ask for your advice, father... regarding this matter. According to Lord Larys's report, they plan to mobilize during Prince Joffrey Velaryon's nameday, in three moons."

"Perfect. It's evident what we must do... Fortunately, we have enough time to prepare."

A heavy silence filled the room. While the Queen appeared distressed, her father maintained absolute control, as was his custom. When the woman with reddish-brown hair said nothing for a long while, her father finally broke the silence in a gentle tone.

"I don't fully trust Lord Larys, honestly... but the idea of a marriage with Prince Aegon's daughters has some logic to it. Sooner or later, it was inevitable."