The Big Dream

As I walked back home, my mind raced with excitement. Sanju's ideas lit a fire in me, sparking the vision for The Big Delhi Food Project. I could see it now—a series of posts, each one a love letter to the hidden corners of Delhi, where the real magic of the city’s street food came to life.

The moment I stepped into my room, I grabbed my notebook and jotted down ideas furiously, my laptop screen glowing with endless possibilities. But I knew that if I wanted to do this right, I needed more than just research—I needed a piece of home, a piece of my family’s legacy.

"Mummy, I need your help!" I called out, rushing downstairs, my heart hammering with excitement.

My mother, who had been busy stirring something fragrant on the stove, turned toward me, her eyes filled with curiosity. "What is it, Avni?"

"I have this amazing idea!" I blurted out, trying to contain the enthusiasm that bubbled up inside me. "I want to create the ultimate guide to Delhi’s street food. But I can’t do it alone—I need your help."

A slow smile spread across her face, softening her features with pride. "My help? What exactly do you need from me?"

"Your favourite recipes, Mummy," I said, leaning on the kitchen counter. "And stories about your childhood, growing up in Delhi. You know, the ones you always tell about the street vendors you used to visit as a girl."

My mother’s smile turned nostalgic, her eyes taking on a distant gleam. "Ah, those were the days," she said softly. "I remember running down the narrow lanes, my dupatta flying behind me as I chased after the golgappa vendor. I'll share all those stories and secrets with you, Avni."

For the rest of the evening, we worked side by side in the kitchen, chopping vegetables and kneading dough, all while my mother recounted tales of her childhood. Every dish held a memory—her first taste of chole bhature at the age of six, the aroma of freshly fried pakoras on a rainy day, the familiar calls of vendors on summer afternoons. It was more than food—it was tradition, love, and history.

As the night came to a close, and I scribbled down the last of her notes, an idea took root in my mind. This was bigger than just a series of posts. This was a tribute—a way to immortalize Delhi’s rich culinary heritage.

"The Big Delhi Food Project," I whispered, testing the words on my tongue. It felt right. It felt...perfect.

My mother turned to me, her eyes shining with pride. "You're going to make it happen, Avni. I know you will."

Her belief in me made my chest swell with determination. I didn’t want this to just be another project—I wanted it to be a legacy, something that would live on long after me.

The next morning, with renewed vigour, I dove into research. I reached out to food bloggers, chefs, and street vendors, my inbox quickly filling with responses. Every email, every connection, brought me closer to bringing The Big Delhi Food Project to life.

Sanju was by my side through it all, as we spent the following days wandering through Delhi’s vibrant streets, sampling crispy samosas and spicy golgappas in Chandni Chowk, photographing every moment and documenting every story we uncovered.

"Avni, this is incredible," Sanju said one afternoon, as we sat on a bench, devouring plates of sizzling hot kachoris. Her eyes sparkled with excitement, and there was something in her voice—something that told me she believed in this as much as I did. "You're creating something truly special."

I smiled at her, my heart swelling with gratitude. "Thanks to you, Sanju. You sparked this idea."

She nudged me playfully. "Maybe. But you’re the one making it happen."

As we walked through the narrow lanes, the camera in my hand capturing the essence of every moment, I felt a surge of something deeper than excitement. For the first time in a long while, I felt like my dream was within reach. Everything had led me to this point—my love for the city, my family’s roots, and the friendships that carried me through.

But as much as I was focused on my dream, I had no idea that an even bigger chapter of my life was about to unfold, one that would turn everything upside down in the most unexpected and heart-stopping way possible.