Family Dinner

Rohan’s invitation to dinner at his family’s home sent a flurry of butterflies dancing in my stomach. Meeting the parents was a significant step in our relationship, and I wanted to make a good impression. As we arrived at their elegant residence in Greater Kailash, I took a deep breath, hoping to mask my nervousness with a smile.

Rohan’s mother, Nalini, greeted us at the door with a warm smile that instantly eased my apprehension. “Avni, beta, it’s lovely to finally meet you,” she said, embracing me tightly, her warmth enveloping me like a comforting blanket.

Rohan’s father, Rajiv, shook my hand firmly, his eyes sparkling with a mixture of curiosity and approval. “Welcome, Avni. We’ve heard great things about you.”

Their genuine warmth put me at ease as we settled into the beautifully decorated dining room, the aroma of homemade food wafting through the air. Over dinner, the conversation flowed easily. I learned about Rohan’s childhood adventures and the close-knit bond he shared with his family. Nalini and Rajiv were charming, and Rohan’s younger sister, Riya, was a delightful whirlwind of energy, her bubbly personality drawing me in.

“This food is incredible, Aunty,” I exclaimed, savouring the rich flavours of the dishes laid out before us.

Nalini beamed, her eyes lighting up with pride. “I’m glad you like it! It’s a family recipe,” she replied, her voice warm.

As the evening drew to a close, Nalini turned to me, her gaze softening. “Avni, we’re so glad Rohan has found someone special. You seem like a lovely girl.”

I smiled, feeling a wave of gratitude wash over me. “Thank you, Aunty. Rohan is amazing, and I feel lucky to have him.”

However, Rajiv’s expression shifted slightly, a serious note entering his voice. “We’re happy to see Rohan happy. But we do have expectations.”

I felt my heart skip a beat. Expectations?

“Expectations?” I echoed, my curiosity piqued.

Rajiv leaned forward, his tone measured. “Rohan’s business is growing, and we want him to focus on that. Marriage and family will come later.”

The word "marriage" echoed in my mind, sending a wave of unease crashing over me. Rohan and I hadn’t even discussed our future in those terms yet.

Rohan intervened, his voice calm yet assertive. “Dad, let’s not rush things. Avni and I are just starting.”

Nalini placed a gentle hand on Rohan’s arm, her expression a mix of concern and affection. “We just want what’s best for you, beta.”

The evening concluded with a sense of unease lingering in the air, a cloud hanging over what had otherwise been a delightful night.

As we drove back to my place, the soft hum of the car’s engine filled the silence between us. Rohan turned to me, his brow slightly furrowed. “Sorry about that. My parents can be a bit old-fashioned.”

I smiled reassuringly, wanting to ease his worries. “It’s okay. I understand where they’re coming from. They care about you.”

But as the city lights flickered by, the conversation we had just shared sparked doubts in my mind. Were Rohan and I on the same page about our future? Did we envision the same dreams, the same path?

I turned my gaze to the window, watching the world blur by, lost in thought. I cared deeply for Rohan, but the prospect of marriage felt like a monumental step—one that deserved careful consideration.

Rohan glanced over, catching the flicker of uncertainty in my eyes. “Avni, are you okay?”

His voice was laced with concern, and I turned to him, wanting to voice my worries but unsure of how to begin. At that moment, I realized our journey together was just starting, but the path ahead was still uncharted territory.