Chapter 8

"Honey, I'm home," Jason called out as he came in the door that evening.

Daisy came around the corner, wiping her hands on her apron. "How was your day, dear?" she asked, grinning.

Chuckling, Jason placed his briefcase on the foyer table. "It was good." He removed his suit coat, hung it on the coat rack, and then loosened his tie. "How was yours?"

"It was good," Daisy repeated. "Dinner is ready when you are."

Jason reached for her, wrapping his arms around her. He pecked her on the lips. "What are we having?"

"Shepherd's pie and dinner rolls."

"It's been years since I've had shepherd's pie," Jason said. "I know yours will be amazing."

"I don't know about amazing, but I hope it will be good." Daisy took his hand, and they made their way to the kitchen. "Why don't you wash your hands while I get the food on the table?"

"Yes, dear."

By the time Jason was done washing his hands Daisy had the food on the table. He poured them a glass of wine and they took their seats.

"I spoke to your mom this morning," Daisy said, scooping up a serving of shepherd's pie for Jason. She handed him the plate. "I told her that you and I got married on Friday night. All she said was welcome to the family and then got off the phone. She and your dad were going scuba diving."

Jason rolled his eyes. "I'm not surprised. I'm shocked she even took the time to take your call."

"I hate to think of how your parents will treat their grandchildren," Daisy said.

The mention of grandchildren had Jason thinking about having children with Daisy. The thought sent a warm feeling spreading through him. That warm feeling disappeared when he realized he had no clue how Daisy felt about having children. What if she didn't want any?

"Is something wrong?" Daisy inquired. "You have a funny expression on your face."

"Do you want children?" Jason asked, nervous.

"Of course," she replied, "but I would like to wait a few years before having them."

Relieved, Jason found he could breathe easier. "That's fine with me."

"How many do you want?"

"At least five," Jason answered, seizing a roll from the napkin lined bowl.

Daisy gaped at him.

"Close your mouth, sweetheart," Jason said, his eyes shining with laughter. "You're going to attract flies."

She swallowed hard and croaked, "Five children."

"At least," he added. "I'm not opposed to having more."

Daisy grabbed her glass of wine and began gulping it.

"Honey, stop." Jason pried the glass from her hands and set it down. "If you don't want a large family, we don't have to have one. What is a number that you're comfortable with?"

"Three," she said.

"Three is a good number," Jason said.

Daisy grimaced. "But you want more and it's not fair to ask you to settle on-"

"It really doesn't matter how many we have," Jason told her. "What matters is that they are healthy and happy."

"That is true," Daisy muttered.

"Besides, we don't have to decide how many we're having right this minute," Jason said. "We can discuss it at a later time. Just knowing we both want children is enough for me right now."