Assessment Day

The day of assessments had arrived, and the air in Gladeview Academy felt thick with tension. Students shuffled through the hallways, glancing at one another with a mix of excitement and dread. The principal stood at the front of the auditorium, her voice cutting through the murmurs like a knife.

"Follow your hearts today," she instructed, her tone steady yet imposing. "The assessment will know where you belong."

The words hung in the air, heavy with meaning. There was an underlying tension among the students; they all understood that this assessment would dictate the paths of their lives. No one truly knew what to expect from the tests, other than that the stakes were extraordinarily high.

Jayde stood in line, her heart pounding as she waited for her turn. She noticed that Wes was missing, and anxiety began to knot in her stomach. He had been acting strangely for days, distracted and distant, and she couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. As she moved closer to the front, she caught sight of Kyle, who was fidgeting nervously beside her.The line inched forward until a tall, hollow-eyed woman in a lab coat called out, "Jayde?" The weight of expectation pressed down on her, and she stepped forward, feeling as if all eyes were on her.

"Room 11," the woman instructed, gesturing toward a door at the end of the hall.

Jayde nodded, forcing herself to walk past the other students, each of whom wore a mix of fear and hope. As she entered the room, she was struck by how unlike any classroom it was. Instead of desks and chairs, the space contained a single reclined chair in the center, surrounded by strange machines and wires hanging from the ceiling.

"Relax," the woman said, though her voice felt devoid of warmth. Jayde sat down, trying to calm her racing heart as the woman began to attach the wires to her temples, wrists, and chest.

"What's this for?" Jayde asked, glancing nervously at the machines.

"This is the new test," the woman replied, her eyes fixed on the clipboard in her hands. "It's...more thorough."

Jayde's stomach dropped at the word "thorough." As the woman flicked a switch, the room dimmed, and Jayde felt herself slipping into unconsciousness. She was no longer in the testing room.

Suddenly, she found herself standing in the middle of a busy street, the sun blazing overhead, casting long shadows across the pavement. People moved past her, each lost in their own world.

 A voice echoed in her mind: "Your choices will guide your path."

Two figures caught her attention—a man limping under the weight of a heavy load, and a young girl, crying, her eyes wide with fear. Jayde's heart raced. She could only help one of them.Who do I help?

With determination, she moved toward the girl, scooping her up and calling for her parents. She couldn't let a child get hurt. The man behind her struggled, but she kept moving. I have to do this.

Then, just as quickly, the scene shifted.