The Kiss

The cool air in the cave was a stark contrast to the heat radiating from Kyle's body. Jayde pressed her palm against his forehead, feeling the fever burning beneath his skin. They had been hiding for hours, and as the shadows deepened, the reality of their situation settled heavily around them. The gash on his side, once a manageable scrape, now appeared inflamed and angry.

"We need to clean it," Jayde murmured, her voice barely breaking the silence. "And find something to keep it from getting worse."

Kyle winced as he shifted. "It's fine. I'll be okay."

"Don't say that," she insisted, her heart racing. "You need me to help you, Kyle."

Searching through their surroundings, Jayde spotted a small stream trickling nearby, its gentle sound providing a comforting backdrop. "Stay here," she told him, her voice firm yet tender. "I'll be right back."

With determination, she carefully maneuvered around the rocks and slipped out of the cave. The cool water felt refreshing against her skin, a stark reminder of the life that existed beyond their current predicament. She filled her hands with water, testing its clarity, and quickly made her way back to Kyle.

"I got some water," she said, kneeling beside him. "We can use it to clean your wound."

He watched her with a faint smile, his eyes glimmering with gratitude. "You're incredible, Jayde."

"Just doing what I can," she replied, trying to mask the worry churning in her gut. Dipping a cloth into the water, she gently dabbed at the gash, fighting the instinct to grimace at the sight of the swollen skin and the darkening edges.

"Just breathe," she instructed, looking up to meet his gaze. "Tell me about the Resistance. What do you know?"

Kyle took a shaky breath, his voice hoarse. "They're not just a group. They're... a movement. People who remember what it's like to dream, to create. They're hidden, though—The Regime is always looking for them. But I think they use old routes, forgotten pathways."

"Old routes..." Jayde repeated, her mind racing. "Maybe that's the key to finding them. If we can piece together the stories we've heard, we might figure out how to get there."

"Yeah," Kyle said, his focus shifting to her as she continued to clean the wound. "They also say that the Resistance has a way of waking people up. They can help those who've been conditioned."

She nodded, her heart pounding at the thought. "We need to find them. But first, we need to make sure you're okay."

As she finished cleaning the wound, Kyle winced again. "It's starting to feel worse," he admitted, looking pale.

"Let's see if we can make a poultice," Jayde suggested, glancing around. She remembered hearing about using plants for healing in one of the books she had read before The Regime had made reading a crime. "There might be something nearby that can help."

"Like what?" Kyle asked, raising an eyebrow.