Chapter 14 : Visenya

Steam rose in lazy tendrils from the bath, curling around me like the last remnants of a dream. The water had long since cooled, but I remained in the tub, staring at the ceiling. It wasn't that I wanted to linger in the water—I had bathed for far too long already—but the thought of facing the day made me want to disappear under the surface and never come up for air again.

A marriage to Aemond. It still sounded absurd. And now I was his wife.

I sighed, sinking a little deeper into the water until it lapped at my chin. Unfortunately, avoiding the inevitable wasn't an option. There were duties expected of me—duties I had to pretend to care about.

Just as I was about to drown myself in another round of self-pity, one of my maids knocked softly and entered with an armful of fabrics, breaking my reverie. "My lady, it's time to dress."

I stood up, water dripping from my skin as they wrapped a towel around me, their hands quick and efficient. I didn't say much as they worked, my mind still too occupied with everything that had happened. I couldn't help but think of Aemond—his infuriating smugness, his cold eyes, and the sharp edges of his smile. The way he had taunted me last night, and then that ridiculous display with the knife this morning.

Honestly, what sort of husband carries a blade to his wedding bed? I thought dryly.

One of the maids held up a gown—a deep, emerald green that practically screamed 'Hightower.' I stared at it, trying not to make a face.

"This was selected by the Queen herself," the maid informed me, her voice carrying just the slightest hint of pride. She clearly thought I should be honored to wear something chosen by the dowager queen.

I raised an eyebrow, glancing at the offensive garment. Green. Of course, it's green.A more fitting symbol of Alicent's passive-aggressive nature I could not imagine.

"Lovely," I said, deadpan, my lips twisting into something that resembled a smile. The maid looked a little uncertain at my tone, but she proceeded to help me into the gown anyway.

As they cinched the bodice tight, I thought about just how much I despised green. It wasn't even a proper Targaryen color. Fire and blood, not grass and envy. Yet here I was, being paraded around in Hightower's colors, like some kind of prize. I imagined tearing the gown to shreds in a fit of dramatic rebellion. It would make a statement, at least.

But no, I couldn't do that. Not today. Today was about playing the role they expected of me—the good wife, the obedient princess. So instead, I let them finish dressing me, though I made a mental note to burn this gown the first chance I got.

Just as the last ribbon was tied, the door swung open and, as if summoned by my disdain, Queen Alicent herself walked in. I suppressed a groan, plastering on my most polite smile.

"My, don't you look lovely," Alicent said with a smile that didn't reach her eyes. "That gown suits you quite well, don't you think?" Her tone was sweet, but her eyes flicked over me with the same scrutiny one might reserve for a prized horse at auction.

Lovely? Green? I swallowed my retort, reminding myself that I needed to keep my composure. "Thank you, Your Grace. I do feel... charmed by the choice," I said, forcing sweetness into my voice.

Alicent's smile tightened, though she quickly smoothed her expression. "You'll find that a wife of a Targaryen prince must always look her best," she said, stepping closer, "especially when her husband represents the future of our house. Your duties as his wife will be many, and not just in the bedchamber."

She paused, looking me up and down with a slight tilt of her head. "You'll need to be an exemplary hostess, tend to the affairs of court, and, of course, produce an heir... or two." Her eyes gleamed as she said that last part.

An heir or two? I wanted to laugh. Alicent, darling, how did you manage four without turning to stone?

Outwardly, I smiled and nodded, trying to look as dutiful as possible. "Of course, Your Grace. I understand completely."

Inside, though, I was rolling my eyes so hard I was surprised they didn't get stuck.

Alicent continued, her voice dropping into that particular tone that only self-righteous queens seemed capable of mastering. "You must ensure that you uphold the values of the realm, protect the dignity of the family, and... well, it is vital to keep the alliances strong. You understand, Visenya, that your role is more than just as a wife. You are now a Targaryen princess, and that comes with... expectations."

Expectations? Oh, I'm quite sure I've already exceeded most of them simply by standing here and not setting something on fire.

"Yes, Your Grace," I said again, smiling with as much false sweetness as I could muster. "I am most grateful for your wisdom."

She looked me over once more, clearly not convinced of my sincerity, but chose not to press the matter. Instead, she offered another thin smile. "Well, I'm sure you'll do your duty. In time, you will come to appreciate the responsibilities of your station." She turned, giving the maids a curt nod before glancing back at me. "Do enjoy the rest of your day, dear."

Enjoy my day? With this gown? I thought, barely suppressing a snort. The green practically blinds me.

But I only smiled again, letting her leave without another word. The moment the door closed behind her, I exhaled, my face returning to its natural state—slightly irritated with a touch of sarcasm.

"Well," I muttered under my breath, smoothing down the hated green fabric. "I'll make sure to uphold the realm, protect the family, and... bear an heir or two." I rolled my eyes to the ceiling, shaking my head.

The sooner this day is over, the better.

But at least I could amuse myself in the meantime—by imagining how Aemond would react if I turned up to dinner in this atrocious shade of green. Surely, even he wouldn't approve.

Or maybe he would.