Chapter 21 - Visenya

The women's conversation became unbearable. Their crude remarks about their husbands, lovers, and affairs made me inwardly cringe. How could they talk so freely about such private matters? I felt like I was overhearing things no one should. And yet, these discussions were what occupied the lives of noblewomen, while I had far less experience in that department. Perhaps that's what made it worse. Their words only added to the doubts that already plagued my mind.

I couldn't sit there any longer. When I spotted an opportunity—an unnoticed lull in their attention—I quietly rose and slipped away, escaping into the trees. The cool air of the woods was a welcome relief, and for a moment, I breathed deeply, letting the quiet absorb the noise of their gossip.

My thoughts wandered, drifting back to Dragonstone, to my brothers Jace and Luke. I missed their laughter, the teasing, and even their bickering. What were they doing now? Training with Daemon, perhaps, or flying on dragonback. A pang of longing hit me. Even Daemon, who wasn't my blood father, had taught me more about life than those women ever could. I smirked, thinking how he would've stirred the pot with a single remark, riling everyone up just for the fun of it. He and I had that in common.

But my amusement faded as I realized I'd wandered too far. Lost. Great. Aemond would surely enjoy this—another opportunity to remind me that I wasn't fit for the world of men, or hunts, or anything outside the castle walls. He'd have that smug, superior look on his face, and I'd have to endure the inevitable "I told you so."

Just as I was trying to find my way back, I heard a sound behind me. I turned, heart racing, and saw Ser Daario approaching, dismounting his horse with practiced ease. His dark eyes were full of concern, and he asked, "Are you alright, Princess?"

I let out a breath and chuckled softly, shaking my head. "Only harm was my own distraction, Ser Daario. Nothing a walk through the woods couldn't cure."

He didn't seem convinced, though. His gaze lingered on me as if he feared I might collapse at any moment. "Let me take you back," he offered, holding out his hand to help me mount his horse.

Before I could respond, I heard the familiar clop of another horse approaching—Aemond. Of course. His single eye locked onto Ser Daario's hand on mine, and his expression darkened instantly.

"Ser Daario," Aemond's voice was like ice, "leave my wife and see yourself off."

Gaelor hesitated, his brow furrowing as he met Aemond's gaze. "I am her sworn protector, Prince Aemond. I was only doing my duty—"

"My wife," Aemond interrupted, each word biting, "is under my care. I am her husband. Or do you wish to challenge that?"

The tension hung thick between them, but Daario knew his place. He gave a short nod, stepping back in silence before mounting his horse and riding off.

I scoffed, crossing my arms. "That was fucking ridiculous."

Aemond turned on me, his temper flaring. "You shouldn't have wandered off in the first place! We're in the middle of a hunt, Visenya. You could have been killed." His voice was laced with irritation. "You had one task. Just one. And even that, you couldn't manage."

I bit my lip, swallowing the sting his words brought. I wanted to snap back, but I refused to let him see how much he'd wounded me. Instead, I turned and began walking away, determined to find my own path back to camp.

"You're not seriously walking away," Aemond said, exasperated. He urged his horse closer, glaring down at me. "Get on the horse, Visenya."

I said nothing, continuing my path in silence.

"Why are you being childish about this?" he demanded, but I still refused to respond. If he thought his sharp tongue would break me, he was wrong.

I was tired of the constant battle. But there was no way I was giving in today.