I Choose You!

The previous week...

"...I know I'm not from Pallet, but I was wondering if I could still get a starter?" Hester asked nervously, fiddling with the phone cord.

"No, that should be fine... But are you sure nowhere in Saffron is handing out starters? Pokémon Centers and Gyms usually do," Professor Oak said.

Hester shook her head.

"Oh. In that case, see you next week."

------------

The doorbell rang.

Professor Oak opened the door, revealing a short, tanned girl with a fringe over one eye, and the rest of her black hair was looped into loose twin buns, resting on each of her shoulders. She was wearing a long-sleeved, collared shirt with a black tie and grey jeans, and red boots.

"Good morning! I-I didn't wake you up, did I?" Hester asked quietly, tugging on her sleeves.

"N-no, you're fine." Professor Oak rubbed his eyes. "I woke up a few minutes ago. Most of the starters are still asleep though."

Hester hesitated. "Can I see them?"

Professor Oak ushered her in, leading her to a table with the three iconic Kanto starters on a table. Squirtle and Bulbasaur were still sleeping, but...

Charmander looked up at Hester curiously. She moved towards it cautiously.

"Who's this?" she asked, her eyes not moving from the Lizard Pokémon.

"That's a male Charmander. Its egg hatched a little over a week ago," Professor Oak said matter-of-factly.

Hester moved her hand towards Charmander. It glanced at her outstretched hand for a moment, then nuzzled into it.

"Aww, Charmander!" Hester laughed. She cuddled it. "Can I have this one?"

"Of course," Professor Oak said, handing her a Pokeball.

Hester grinned, turning back to Charmander. She held up the Pokeball. "I'm Hester. I hope we become good friends."