Bags; Packed! Hello, Adventure!

After picking up Charmander, Hester arrived back at her home in Saffron City to get the rest of her stuff ready. Charmander was exploring around the room, opening draws and observing every nook and cranny he found.

"Almost done," Hester promised the Lizard Pokémon. She zipped up her backpack, slinging it over her back. She heard a yelp and glanced behind her, only to find Charmander had fallen into an open draw and gotten stuck. She ran towards the draw, gently lifting Charmander out. "Let's go! It's a big, big world out there! A lot bigger than this room."

"Char?" Charmander looked up at Hester curiously. She grinned.

"Hester?" called a voice from downstairs. "I'm home!"

"Ma!" Hester said, rushing downstairs. Charmander followed close behind.

A dark-haired woman looked up at Hester. "Hey, kiddo!" she glanced at the small, orange Pokémon next to her. "You chose Charmander, huh?"

"Yeah!" Hester said excitedly.

Her mother grinned. "All packed? Flashlight? Smart phone? Raincoat?" She continued listing off what she deemed 'necessary' items. Hester nodded.

"Two more things I want to give to you," her mother said. She opened her bag and pulled out a purple Pokeball with an 'M' stamped on the front.

"A Master Ball," Hester breathed, her eyes widening. "You're... You're giving it to me?"

Her mother nodded. "For emergencies. In every region, there are unique and powerful Pokemon called Legendries. If you are ever in danger because of a Legendary, use this Master Ball to catch it. My mother gave me a Master Ball, and it saved my life."

Hester took the Pokeball, feeling the weight of it. It was heavier than normal ones.

"And finally," said her mother, "this."

Hester looked up just in time to see her mother shove a soft sack over her eyes. She peeled it off, realizing it was a beanie with a Pokeball stitched to the front.

"A little something for you to remember me by," her mother said, winking.