Chapter 28: A Glance From Him

Aaliyah

"More alone time with Cassiel?" a familiar voice greeted me as soon as I stepped out of the library. I let out a heavy sigh, turning around to see Jayden, leaning casually by the door, his usual smug look in place.

I rolled my eyes, playfully knowing I wouldn't hear the end of this once he reunited with Oliver. He took slow, deliberate steps toward me, and though I tried to act unbothered, my eyes stayed locked on his, the air between us subtly shifting. His hands were crossed over his chest as he came closer, stopping just in front of me with that same detective-like stare he always gave me, as if I were a prime suspect.

"Heard an awful lot of giggling for people that are 'just talking,'" he said, mimicking the answer I always gave when he, Maren, or Oliver grilled me about Cassiel.

"Should I be concerned?" I raised a brow, feigning surprise. "Were you standing by the door this whole time? Jealous I've been talking to your Cassiel?" A small laugh escaped my lips, watching as his brow furrowed just a little.

"Oliver had me look for you. He got worried his tutor wasn't in class before him," Jayden explained, his smile slowly returning as he leaned in slightly, his face close enough that I caught the faint scent of cologne. "I knew you'd be at the library," he added, teasingly.

"You're such a flirt," he said, his voice low and accusing. I watched that grin he always had spread wider while he watched my unbothered expression shift into confusion.

"A flirt?" I questioned, blinking as he straightened up again, leaning away, though his gaze stayed firmly on me.

"Yeah, I was waiting... The receptionist told me to give you the keys," he said, mimicking my voice in that way he always did, exaggerating every word.

I paused for a moment, remaining silent as I tried remembering when I said that. I felt a bit of heat creep up my neck as the memory from a few seconds ago hit me, I frowned, locking my eyes back on him, "Tch. Shut up." I said, lightly pushing him, and he stepped back dramatically, his hand landing on his chest exactly where I'd touched him. He burst into laughter, the sound deep and genuine as if I'd told the funniest joke.

"I wasn't flirting," I muttered, the frown on my face deepening as his laughter only grew. No matter what I said, I knew I couldn't convince him.

I scoffed, turning away just as his laughter began to die down. I was a few steps down the path when I heard the sound of the library door opening. I froze.

Was he going to talk to Cassiel?

Glancing over my shoulder, I saw Jayden leaning against the doorframe, speaking to someone inside. I couldn't make out the words, but I was sure he was talking to Cassiel.

A small smile crept onto my face, unbidden and sudden, a mix of surprise and something I didn't quite understand. "Finally," I whispered, a hint of excitement stirring in my chest. I'd been waiting for one of them to approach him.

I shook my head, reminding myself I have class and continued my walk down the hall and up the stairs, before I knew it, I was right in front of the back entrance of the lecture hall. The problem with being late wasn't the knowledge you missed, besides I barely concentrate in a class with Oliver, the problem was the looks you get when the sound of you opening the door interrupts the lecturer.

I stood by the door, contemplating my options, "I don't need to attend the lecture today. I already studied this morning...", I thought out loud, taking slow steps away from the door. "I think I should be fine.", I finally conclude, not able to bare the thought of the lecturer and the rest of the class going silent to glare at me.