Chapter 26: Late Today

I woke up the next morning feeling rested. It was unusual. After last night's swarm of emotions, I expected to wake up with a splitting headache. But no. I woke up only wanting to go back to sleep.

My eyes slowly parted as I turned to face the ceiling, letting out a long sigh. I closed my eyes again, trying to recall yesterday's events-how I felt, the swirl of confusion, frustration, and something I couldn't quite name.

I wanted to start the day by reminding myself who I am, what I've been through, and the curse that looms over me. I needed to give myself reasons-reasons why I should push Aaliyah away. She was an obvious trap, and I had figured that much out last night. But somehow, the idea of avoiding her just didn't compute in my mind.

I kept telling myself that I'd be different today, that I would stay distant. Yet, as soon as I checked the time, those plans evaporated. "Eight-thirty," I muttered in annoyance. I had overslept. No wonder I felt so rested.

"What happened to my alarm?" I frowned, sitting up and checking the settings. It had gone off, but somehow, I missed it-despite being a light sleeper.

I got up quickly, peeling off my shirt as I headed to the bathroom. My mind wasn't on being late to 'work,' but rather on the fact that Aaliyah's first lecture was at ten and coming late meant less time spent with her.

It was clear now-avoiding her wasn't something I could just choose to do. She'd have to give me a reason, say something to undo this pull I felt toward her. But for now, I was hopeless.

I rushed through everything-my bath, brushing my teeth. I didn't bother with my hair, threw on whatever combination of clothes seemed passable, and skipped breakfast. By the time I got out the door, I was already dreading being late, but not for the reasons I should've been.

I arrived at school in no time, spotting the receptionist across the lobby as soon as I walked in. She smiled when she saw me, which was a little odd.

"Morning, Cassiel," she greeted, her tone surprisingly warm.

I blinked at her, feeling a little thrown off. Normally, we didn't exchange any words. She'd just hand me the sign-in book, and that would be that.With how I rushed out of the house without glancing at the mirror, I'd have guessed I looked bad enough to win a couple of glares not warm greetings.

"The book?" I asked, impatience creeping into my voice as I gestured for it. The smile disappeared from her face, her lips forming a small 'O' as she rushed to retrieve it.

Sighing, I took the pen from her hand and scribbled anything in the space meant for my signature. "You don't have to worry," she said as I put the pen down. "It's not like you're a real staff. The school doesn't really expect you to be punctual."

"Good to know," I replied, my tone dry. The school's expectations didn't matter to me.

"Oh, and if you're worried about the girl that shows up at opening time..." she began, earning my full attention immediately.

"Yes? Aaliyah? Hasn't she shown up yet?"

"Oh, she's here," she said with a knowing smile. "I opened the library for her since you weren't around." She paused as if she was waiting for my reaction. "She seems responsible, so I left her with the keys, figuring you'd show up soon."

I let out a small, relieved sigh. "Right. Thanks," I muttered, rubbing the back of my neck, trying to calm the tension that had built up in me for no reason. "Morning, by the way," I added, remembering her earlier greeting. Without waiting for a response, I grabbed the book and headed upstairs.

Before I knew it, I was standing at the library door, swinging it open, only to hear a soft, "Ouch."

I froze for a moment, the door having hit something-or rather, someone. The familiar voice that followed, told me exactly who it was.