Chapter 6

The light of the late afternoon filtered softly through the window of Elena's cottage, casting a warm glow across the room. Kaelen lay still in the bed, his chest rising and falling in a steady rhythm. Though his body was weakened by his injuries and blood loss, the herbs and care Elena had given him were helping to ease his pain.

Kaelen stirred, his eyes fluttering open slowly. He blinked against the light, his gaze unfocused for a moment before finally finding Elena. She moved closer to him, her steps quiet and measured, her expression calm.

"You're awake again," she said gently.

Kaelen blinked again, his face still pale but more alert than before. His lips parted slightly, and though his voice was hoarse from exhaustion, it carried a sense of determination.

"Where... am I?" he asked, his gaze drifting around the room.

"You're in my cottage," Elena replied, sitting beside him. "I found you in the forest, injured. You've been in and out of consciousness for a while now. I've been tending to your wounds."

Kaelen's brow furrowed, and for a moment, he tried to adjust his position. As he shifted, a sharp jolt of pain flashed through his abdomen, and he winced, his hand instinctively moving toward the bandages that covered his wound. He stopped, breathing slowly to keep the pain at bay, and leaned back into the pillow, his movements constrained by both weakness and the lingering ache.

"Don't push yourself," Elena said softly, reaching out to steady him. "You're still recovering. Let your body rest."

Kaelen nodded faintly, his breathing slow as he relaxed back against the bed. His silver eyes found hers again, and though his voice was quiet, there was strength in it.

"My name is Kaelen," he said, his words deliberate.

"Elena," she replied, offering a reassuring smile. "You're safe here, Kaelen."

For a moment, Kaelen didn't speak. He seemed to be gathering his thoughts, his eyes drifting closed briefly as he fought against the weariness that weighed on him. When he finally spoke again, his voice was strained but steady.

"I was hunting a monster," he explained, his brow furrowed. "It injured me, but I dealt it a lethal blow before it could finish me off."

Elena raised an eyebrow, her interest piqued. "A monster?"

Kaelen nodded, though the movement was slow, his muscles still weak from his ordeal. "You don't need to worry," he added, his voice firm despite his condition. "The village is safe. The creature's dead... or dying."

Elena felt a wave of relief wash over her. The idea of a dangerous monster lurking in the enchanted forest had been unsettling, but if Kaelen believed it was dealt with, that was one less thing for her to worry about.

"You're sure?" she asked, just to be certain.

Kaelen gave a faint nod, his expression resolute. "I wounded it badly enough that it won't survive. You and the village are safe."

Elena nodded, accepting his words. If he was confident that the threat was gone, she had no reason to doubt him. For now, her focus needed to be on his recovery. The forest would always hold mysteries, but she trusted Kaelen's skill as a hunter.

"Alright," she said softly. "But you need to rest. You're not out of danger yet."

Kaelen's gaze lingered on her for a moment, gratitude in his eyes, before he closed them again, exhaustion overtaking him once more.

Elena moved to the hearth, where a bowl of broth simmered gently over the fire. She stirred it carefully, the warm scent of herbs filling the small cottage. When she returned to Kaelen's side, he stirred again, this time more aware, though his body was still weak.