Chapter 1

The morning air was crisp and cool, with the first rays of sunlight filtering through the trees, casting long, golden shafts of light onto the forest floor. Elena moved easily along the well-trodden path, her boots making only the faintest sound as they pressed into the earth. She was of average height, perhaps a little taller than most women in the village. She had the strength of someone who spent her days in the wild, though she wasn't muscular. Her strength came from her endurance, her health, and the energy that seemed to radiate from her.

Her dark brown hair, long and luscious, caught hints of gold as the sun broke through the branches overhead. It tumbled in loose waves down her back, though she usually braided it when she worked, keeping it out of her way. Today, it hung freely, flowing over the earthy tones of her clothing—a loose linen shirt and trousers tucked into worn leather boots. She favored practical attire, usually in shades of brown and green, colors that blended with the world around her. Over her clothes, she wore a thick linen apron, its surface stained from years of mixing herbs and crafting remedies.

Elena's beauty was striking in an unconventional way—almost otherworldly. Her golden skin, kissed by the sun from long days spent outdoors, seemed to glow in the morning light. Her eyes, a deep amber flecked with gold, caught the sunlight in such a way that they seemed to shimmer, captivating anyone who looked too closely. It wasn't a beauty that was easy to approach; in fact, most of the boys in the village were a little intimidated by her. Her strength, her independence, and that subtle, exotic allure that set her apart made her seem untouchable, as though she belonged to some ancient, forgotten realm of magic.

But none of that concerned Elena. She loved her solitude, the quiet companionship of the forest, the freedom of moving through the world with no one to please but herself. Today, she moved with purpose, her foraging basket already half-full with feverfew, wild marjoram and comfrey as she made her way deeper into the woods.

The village of Hearthwood had barely begun to stir, but Elena was used to being up before dawn. It was her time—a few precious hours where the world belonged only to her and the earth beneath her feet. Today, she needed to gather moonseed, a rare herb that only grew near the edge of the magical barrier that surrounded the forest.

The barrier was invisible but ever-present, a boundary that few dared to cross. The forest beyond it was wild, untamed, and filled with unpredictable magic. But Elena had crossed it before, carefully, always returning unharmed. The moonseed she needed grew just beyond the line.

As she approached the barrier, the air felt different—heavier, as though the magic itself was pressing against her skin. She paused, her amber eyes scanning the shadows beyond the line before stepping across. The world felt denser on the other side, the trees taller, the light dimmer, as though the forest itself was watching her.

It didn't take long to find what she was looking for. The silvery stems of moonseed caught her eye at the base of an old oak tree, their delicate leaves swaying gently in the soft breeze. Kneeling, she cut the stems with practiced ease, tucking them into her basket before swiftly stepping back over the barrier.

Her heart was still pounding slightly as she returned to the familiar part of the forest, but there was no harm done. She had what she needed, and the village was none the wiser.

Elena's cottage sat on the outskirts of Hearthwood, nestled at the edge of a small garden where she grew common herbs like sage, rosemary, and lavender. Inside the picket fence, her small chicken coop bustled with life, the hens clucking softly as they pecked at the ground. Tarragon, her shaggy dog, gave a small bark when he saw her approaching, wagging his tail as she opened the gate.