Lurking Danger

...

As you rushed downstairs to let Kaya in, laughing as you greeted her at the door, Hyunjin's attention snapped toward the front of the house. He stilled, listening intently. Amidst the sound of your conversation with Kaya, there was something else—a low, barely audible growl that sent his senses on high alert. His body tensed, instinct kicking in.

Hyunjin excused himself from the table abruptly, ignoring his best friend's questioning look. His steps were almost soundless as he moved toward the front door. Every fiber of his being was focused on the sound, his heightened senses zeroing in on it. The growl came again, louder this time.

You and Kaya were still laughing in the hallway when Hyunjin slipped between you both, his focus entirely on the door. The suddenness of his movement startled you, and you stopped mid-laugh, turning to stare at him.

"What are you doing?" you asked, raising an eyebrow at him as you crossed your arms. But there was no playfulness in your tone this time—his behavior was starting to unsettle you.

Hyunjin didn't answer immediately. His head tilted slightly, eyes narrowing as he listened again. When he finally turned to face you, his expression was serious."Shh," he hissed, his voice tense as he pressed his ear closer to the door. His hand slowly reached for the handle, his body coiled as if ready to spring into action.

You exchanged a confused glance with Kaya, your laughter forgotten. "Hyunjin," you muttered, growing more uneasy. "Why are you acting so— ,"

"I said, shh," he shot you a warning look interrupting you as his grip tightened on the door handle.

You fell silent, watching as he carefully cracked open the door. The night air rushed in, cold and still. And then, there it was again—a low growl, menacing in its intensity.

Hyunjin's body moved before you could react, dashing out into the night with inhuman speed, the door slamming shut behind him. You blinked, shocked, staring at the closed door in disbelief. "Hyun— !" You tried to call out, but he was already gone.

You turned to Kaya, wide-eyed and confused. "What the hell just happened?" you muttered. Without waiting for her response, you headed into the living room, where your brother was still seated at the table.

"Tae," you said breathlessly, your words tumbling out in a rush. "Hyunjin just dashed out the door. I don't know what's going on, but something's not right."

Tae paused mid-bite, his eyes narrowing as he set his fork down and stood up. There was a tense silence in the room as he processed your words, his expression shifting from confusion to something darker, something more serious.

You swallowed, trying to explain further. "He stood by the door like he was listening to something outside. Then he just ran out like... I don't know, like something was out there."

Tae jaw tightened as he moved toward the window, pulling the curtain back to peer outside into the night. His gaze scanned the darkness for any sign of movement. "Stay inside," he said firmly, his tone leaving no room for argument. He glanced over his shoulder at you, his eyes filled with an urgency. "And stay away from the windows."

The seriousness in his voice sent a chill through you. Tae rarely got like this—calm but commanding, as if he knew something more, something you didn't. Kaya stood beside you, her face pale with concern.

"What's going on, Tae?" you asked, your voice barely above a whisper. "What aren't you telling me?"

He didn't answer right away. Instead, he turned away from the window and faced you, his expression haunted. "Just trust me, Y/N," he said quietly. "Please."