56. Taming the Stallion

It was still great up until Kloff had to confidently visit the estate early in the morning. However, without even catching a glimpse of Aeroc's hair in the house, Kloff couldn't understand why he had to walk from one end of the study to the other, receiving a stern scolding from the butler multiple times.

"Chin up, shoulders back! Don't rush your pace."

The butler corrected Kloff's posture while waving a whip he got from somewhere. When Kloff asked what it was for, the sharp lash fell on his shoulders.

"If you want to be a match for the Count, start by practicing the proper posture."

"I see. Is this what they call aristocratic bride education?"

"Rather than that, it's more like taming a stubborn colt, but yes, that's right."

"...Taming a stallion, is it?"

"Exactly."

Kloff glared at the butler with obvious ridicule, but the butler remained composed as if he had never ridiculed him. He pointed to one side again, commanding, "Walk straight." Kloff reluctantly followed suit. It hurt to get hit, but since he had set his mind on becoming an economic bureaucrat, he might gain access to the royal social circles. In that case, he thought this butler's education would come in handy.

Let's think of this positively. Despite feeling boiling anger when the butler slapped his shoulders with the whip, following him step by step behind his back, Kloff decided to think positively. The training continued for the whole morning. After it ended, when Kloff was about to go to the office, the butler handed him massive books on liberal arts.

"Tomorrow, you will be tested on the contents of these. Finish reading it all and come."

"I have to read all of these today? Don't tell me that you've read all of these?"

Kloff had read plenty of legal and economic books during his university years, he could proudly say that he had read a fair amount of books in liberal arts. It was hard to believe that the butler could check all of these, when Kloff himself only knew half of the titles in this stack of books.

"Of course, it wouldn't be me testing you. It's part of the list written by the Count."

"Then who's doing the test?"

"The Count will do it at this time tomorrow. Make sure not to disappoint him."

"Is that so?"

At those words, Kloff's eyes lit up. He nodded his head, unconsciously licking his lips. The butler, who wiped his monocle with a handkerchief and put it back on, said, "I will also be there, so don't get your hopes up." and left, leaving Kloff standing there with a desolate expression, holding the books.

He definitely didn't want to lose. He wanted to be acknowledged in some way. With his ambitious spirit, even as a poor student, he became a top graduate who gained support from the professors. He would do his best to get what he wanted.

From late morning to late afternoon, he dealt with clients and made investment plans for national funds. It was a new field that he had not encountered before, so there was a lot of research to be done, and he also had to review international law, which he had neglected until now. He was truly busy with no time to spare. When he returned home late in the evening, he was already exhausted.

"You seem very busy these days. It's not good if you harm your health."

Martha served a simple soup, soft bread, and juice with a worried expression. Kloff gulped them fast, and when he asked Martha to bring him tea to the study later, Martha placed her hands on her hips and began to nag in disbelief.