PROLOGUE

Song recommended: Trainwreck by James Arthur

★★

Here I will be telling you all my story.

  My mom had me at the age of twenty, when she was about graduating from university. Her parents were very much disappointed at her but they didn’t want mom associating with my dad any more so they were asked to stop whatever it is that was going on between them.

And growing up I never knew my dad, mom didn’t talk about him nor was I allowed to ask of him.

  Because of the guilt of disappointment, and disgrace they claimed that my mom has given them, my mom has always tried her best to appeal them, and I have to not be the bastard son…I was the top in my primary school until my mom was asked to marry one of grandpa’s business partner, it was all roses at first, Mr. Hudson was nice at first, he took mom and I out to have fun… I thought I found my dad.

  When they married, I was promoting to JSS 1 then so believing that he was a good man, grandma allowed mom take me with them.

  We got to Lagos and I found paradise like he was rich and had twin daughters, and immediately I was in school, a prestigious school.

  The twins were nice. They were just 4 years and I was 11… I was literally still a kid then, my mom was happy so I was, she started working in one of the biggest company in Lagos and Mr. Hudson was always busy traveling for business, and at the age of 11 I started parenting the twins.

  From what I could still remember their mother died while giving birth to them.

  I didn’t know why I stayed home that day but I wish I hadn’t.

  Mr. Hudson's mother was in town so mom and the twin went to pay her a visit, maybe because my mother’s mother in law makes me feel like I’m an outsider, and I was given a choice whether I wanted to go or not so I chose the latter. I had the house all to myself I was a child and I wanted to enjoy my little time without the twins so I was watching my favorite TV show when Mr. Hudson came, he was looking haggard. I stood up and greeted him smiling like a fool, I went to take his briefcase, I took it without any thought in mind, I went to place it in his and mom’s room and I turn and there stood him, my nightmare… my worst nightmare.

  He just stared at me, with some look I couldn’t decipher as a kid but now thinking about it, it was look of lust, a look a lover would give their partner when in the other room, I stared at him and watch him walk closer to me with same look he had standing at the door so I smiled because I do not know what to do or say, he has never looked at me like that or I haven’t caught him looking at me like that.

  I wondered if I had done something wrong or I lost something I am not aware of but I stood still until he was close to me, extremely close to me. I was scared of him at that moment and my mom was not at home and for the first time I was alone with Mr. Hudson since I got to Lagos.

  He picked me up in his arm, he stared at me with hooded eyes. He sure wasn’t staring at my eyes but my lips… I was small and I am still small.

  He mumbled something I didn’t quite make out but I smelled alcohol from his mouth. He was unlike himself, he wasn’t saying anything and it was nerve wrecking, I looked everywhere around his face, Mr. Hudson was a handsome tall man and I wanted to grow up to be like him but after that night, I never had thought of growing up to be like him again.

  That night he only touched me in a way that I’ve seen him touched my mom and I pleaded with him to let me go, I didn’t have any sort of strength in me, I struggled to set myself free from him but I couldn’t . I had seen it happened in a movie before where the girl killed her uncle for sexually assaulting her… I didn’t thought my mom’s husband was the girl’s uncle in my life, I thought I passed out from being scared because I wasn’t a girl and he was doing this to me, or I didn’t want to remember what actually took place that night because I was afraid I had wanted it to happen, I was afraid I asked for it, he kissed me passionately like I was his wife or something I closed my eyes tightly as it happened, I felt a tear trailed down my cheeks.