Chapter five

I woke up with the feeling of nervousness settling in on me, my first day of school looming over me like a dark cloud. The sound of my sister's friends laughing and chatting in the living room didn't help.

It's been two weeks since I came to Canada and I would say it's been a nice experience to just have so much peace of mind without my parents trying to intervene.

I reluctantly get off my bed so I can go bathe and get ready.
As I slipped on my cargo jeans and black long-sleeve, the soft fabric calming my frazzled nerves, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. The silver necklace glinted against my skin, but the chill in the air prompted me to add a sweater.

I pick my tote bag and put all the necessary books that I need inside before putting my phone last.

I'm nervous to go outside and see River again.
It's been almost two weeks since I last saw him, after that it has mostly been only Jamie and alex that visited.

My heart skipped a beat as I step into the living room and see River in the kitchen with Rachel. He's sitted on the counter in the middle of the kitchen and he twirls an apple up and down.

Rachel and him seems to be in a conversation as he nods at something she says absentmindedly as she also slices an onion.
Why is she in our kitchen again?

River seems to be listening intently and that makes me wonder what their relationship is.
My mind halts when River looks at me.

His attention is unwavering with his face so stoic.
He tilts his head slightly like he's trying to figure me out or something along the line.
He takes his time as he lets his eyes slowly drift downwards at my body before he looks at my face again.

Oh God

Rachel's voice drifts from the kitchen, "Oh good, I thought the princess was going to stay in her room forever."

I bite my lips to stop myself from saying anything rude.

That's just not who I am.

Jamie and Alex seem to finally notice me as they greeted me with warm smiles. "Hey, your sister told me it's your first day today? You nervous? " Jamie asks and I sadly have to look away from a certain someone who's staring at my soul.

"A little," I admitted, dropping onto the armchair beside them.

Alex chuckled. "You'll crush it. What's your first class?"

"World literature" I replied.

Alex grins "Ooh, I had that last semester. Professor Thompson's awesome. You'll love her."

" You study literature?" I ask in surprise.
He shakes his head " nope I just had to offer it as an extra course to boost my result but I swear world literature was the best shit I've ever learnt"

Jamie snorts " you only say that cause you got to flirt with Professor Thompson"

My eyes widen " you can do that?"

Alex shrugs " we are in college sweetheart not high school besides she's in her early twenties so I don't see why not"

As the three of us continued to chat, I couldn't resist whispering, "Hey, I've always wanted to know, is River mute?"

Alex and Jamie exchanged amused glances before bursting into laughter. "No my love, he's not mute," Jamie assured me, chuckling. "He's just... reserved."

Alex adds, "Yeah, only talks when necessary. But he's solid, once you get to know him."

I can't help but stare at the kitchen again as Rachel says something that makes River smile.

River's lips that's normally set in a firm line, softened and curved upward, transforming his stoic face into a breathtaking sight. His smile is like the first hint of dawn breaking through the darkness - subtle, yet radiant. The corners of his eyes crinkled, and his gaze sparkled with warmth, as if the sun had burst through the clouds.

The gentle upward tilt of his lips hinted at secrets and stories untold. His smile is a whispered promise of hidden depths, a glimpse into the mysteries hidden beneath his reserved exterior.

That smile is very genuine.

And that's what made me ask "are they dating"

"What? No way girl. But they are really close" Jamie shrugs and her statement really makes me more confused.

Alex then finally adds "they were very close friends before we even became friends three years ago, honestly I think the only reason he's hanging out with us is because of Rachel, He doesn't really have other friends"

And then I ask another question trying to make my face look indifferent as I feel jealousy eat at my insides.

"Does it seem like he would date her?"

Jamie's brows raise in amusement but she still decides to entertain my funny questions.

"Not at all, from what we've gathered from the three years we've been friends is that River sees her more like a sister than even a friend, he cares about Rachel genuinely, we don't really know their history but Rachel did tell us that they've been friends since middle school"

That makes me relax a little.

Then Alex adds " Rachel seems to be pining after River but for some odd reason River doesn't see it, he really sees her as a family but Rachel on the other hand wants something that he sadly can't give her"

" But we aren't really sure since she never made a declaration to us about liking him, it's just an assumption"Jamie says.

" Oh please it's obvious" Alex rolls his eyes

Ahh I see....
An unrequited love.

I should feel bad for Rachel.
I should even understand why she's so possessive but sadly I don't.
Infact I'm glad.
I'm glad she's like a little sister to him.
I'm glad he doesn't like her.

We continue to converse before Tejiri emerges from her room, radiating confidence in her shorts and tank top. It turns out she was taking a shower.

Alex's intense gaze follows her as she sits right next to him.
Jamie doesn't seem to notice the shift in the air as she continues to talk.

Something tells me that their friends don't know about what's going on between them....

Rachel comes to the living room with a huge bowl of spaghetti with River behind her.
They all pick a spoon and begin digging in except for River who eats his Apple

I look at the time and realize that I have thirty minutes to spare, I announce my departure and Tejiri tells me a half-hearted "good luck" as she is occupied in a noodle-spooning battle with Alex.

And then,a voice I've never heard before speaks up"Goodluck Ru." His voice is Deep, smooth and has a gentle rasp that adds depth to his words. The richness of his tone sends shivers down my spine, making me feel like I'm the only person in the room.

I turn, our eyes locking, my smile trembling.

From the corner of my eyes I can see Rachel opening her mouth to say something but I immediately interrupt it with a "Thank you" before fleeing the house with one thought seared into my mind: River gave me a nickname. Ru. Such a beautiful nickname that I didn't even know could exist from a name as boring and common as mine.

While others called me Koko or Kobi.
He called me Ru.