Chapter forty three

The party is in full swing, the laughter and chatter of family and friends swirling around me like a warm embrace.

I'm standing with a few of my cousins, their faces lit up with curiosity as they bombard me with questions about Canada.

“Is it really as beautiful as they say?” one of them asks, her eyes sparkling with excitement. “And what about the boys? Are they handsome?”

I can’t help but chuckle, feeling slightly embarrassed yet entertained. It’s strange to think about how my life has become a source of fascination for them.

I mean, sure, Canada is beautiful, and there are attractive guys, but that’s not what I want to focus on right now.

“Uh, yeah, it’s nice,” I say, brushing off the compliment about the boys. “The scenery is breathtaking, and everyone’s super friendly.”

Just as I’m about to elaborate, a hand suddenly rests on my lower back. I freeze, the warmth radiating from his touch making my skin prickle uncomfortably.

My cousins giggle, whispering to each other, and I know they’re about to swoon over Awolowo Richard.

He steps forward, his tuxedo tailored perfectly to his lean frame, giving him an air of sophistication that’s hard to deny.he looks clean-cut, exuding confidence.

“Excuse us, ladies,” Richard says smoothly, his eyes glimmering with mischief as he leans slightly closer.

My stomach churns at the thought of being left alone with him, but the polite smile on my face hides my discomfort.

I can’t even protest; I’m trapped in this social situation, and I know it wouldn’t be worth the fight.

“Hi, Kobiruo,” he says, his voice low and velvety. “You look beautiful tonight.”

I take a step back, putting some distance between us, but his gaze is intense, his attention unwavering.

“Thanks,” I reply, forcing a smile. “You look handsome too.”

My eyes dart around the party, searching for any sign of my siblings—Tejiri, Tom, anyone who could rescue me from this uncomfortable encounter.

Richard doesn’t seem to notice my discomfort. Instead, he launches into a monologue about his business ventures, as if we’re best friends catching up. “Business has been going well,” he says, flashing a smile that doesn’t quite reach his eyes. “I’m honestly just looking for a wife right now.”

My heart sinks at his words. Why is he so desperate to find a wife? I can’t help but voice my curiosity. “Why do you want a wife, though? Isn’t it kind of… traditional?”

His eyes lock onto mine, and I feel a shiver run down my spine as he leans in slightly, the scent of his cologne enveloping me.

“I need a woman to satisfy my manly needs” he states matter-of-factly like he's talking about the weather.

Before I can even process what he just said he adds"I mean I need a woman by my side mostly now that I'm very busy and also I'm quite tired of hiring prostitutes everytime I need to relieve stress"

Disgust washes over me as I process his words. A wife isn’t supposed to be a toy or a stress reliever.

This isn’t some romantic pursuit; it’s just an objectification of the very concept I hold dear. My stomach turns, and I can feel my cheeks flush with anger.

Before I can muster the courage to tell him off, my brother Tom suddenly appears, a cheeky grin on his face. “Hey, Richard! Come here, I need your help with something,”