Chapter 22. Past and Present

A heavy weighted sigh escaped me as I rubbed the back of my neck exhausted. I had spent hours and hours just putting my nose to the grind and doing everything I could to make this company a reality.

It was taking a toll on me, mentally, emotionally, and even physically.

But it will all be worth it. My drive pressed on giving me the strength I needed with this all consuming project.

Stepping into our small apartment I was met with a terrible smell of burnt meat, a pot of water over boiling, and something clinging to the microwave that was based with green mush.

Still, despite the state of the kitchen; the smiling face that spun around at my approach melted my worries away. She was beautiful. Her fawn colored hair was tied up in a messy bun. Her large doe eyes were wide in excitement. A broad smile parted her full lips. My mate, Cami.

"Welcome home! How was work today? Any progress on the "miracle pill"?" She teased kissing my cheek.

"Very funny, but yeah the guys down at the lab have been working really hard to get it right. The first batch of tests all came back with positive results." I nodded, loosening my tie. I slumped against the counter, trying to hide the fatigue that threatened to take over me at any second.

"Well, we'll just have to try it then won't we?" She hummed, slinking closer and grabbed the end of my tie.

She yanked it hard, so I fell into her and she crushed her lips against mine.

"I love you Katsuki. I'm so proud of all the work you've done." She gently cupped my face in her hands and kissed the tip of my nose.

My tail wagged happily behind me. Reaching up, my hand explored the small antlers poking out of her luscious fawn hair. They were adorable on her, but I knew she hated them.

People often called her horrid names because she was different. A slight hormone imbalance caused her, a female deer, to sprout a small pair of antlers.

"I love you too Cami. I'm doing all of this for us, and for other mates like us." I gripped her hands in mine and gave them a gentle squeeze.

Cami and I met in junior high. The moment I saw her, I knew she was going to be mine. She was my mate. As we got older, our relationship grew complicated. I was an Alpha Inu, and she was a Delta Shika.

Two completely different classes and species, and yet we made it work. She supported my efforts to create a way for couples like us to mate and have a family.

It took a few years, but we had finally made a breakthrough. All of our hard work was going to pay off.

"Let's try now." I hummed, gripping her hips and pulling her closer.

"That sounds like a good idea." She giggled, coiling her arms around my neck and kissed me.

Later, we lay in bed watching the news. Cami absentmindedly traced circles around my forearm still draped around her bare shoulders.

I was barely paying attention to the news when Cami made a disgruntled sound.

"What is it?" My ears perked up, sensing there was something wrong.

"How can they be so cruel? Omega's are humans too. They are hybrids just like us." She snapped pointing to the TV.

There was a breakthrough on a ring of  predators sex trafficking Omega's, found in a nearby city. The Omega's that were still alive were malnourished, and heavily drugged. It was a sickening sight to see.

Omega's were supposedly entirely captivating. Their scent alone was overwhelming and oppressive. It was like they completely took over the animal part of everyone's brains no matter their species. They had nearly gone extinct because of underground rings like this.